How To Clean A Suede Couch Cheap And Great

$2.00

My son knew I was looking for a couch. A guy at work said he had two couches he was going to take to the dump, unless I wanted it. I tried to find out what it looked like, but never got a description. I knew I didn't want plaid or something rough. All he said was it could be delivered for $10.00, otherwise free. I took a risk after a few weeks, but told my son it would have to be parked on the carport so I could clean it with the hose. My son said "you don't want to do that". I told him I have to. They were two matching brown couches, about the color of two of my walls. So I took a big pan and put laundry detergent it then filled it with water, then dumped it on. I did that until the whole couch was soaked. Then I hit it with the hose really good. There was some spots that needed extra attention with a rag . Then I rinsed it good all over. The next day or two I ckecked it out and it smelled like a wet dog. Then I remembered fabric softner and filled the pan with softner and water and poured it all over again. A couple of days later, when it started drying, at the top of the couch, I saw it was shining. When it was all dry, I went out and sat on it. It was great, and it took me a couple of minutes to register that it was suede. I thought it was just some kind of cloth. Suede is skin, and we wash our skin with soap, so it makes sense. It did need fabric softner though.

• None

Looks like micro fiber faux suede to me. An attachment from a carpet shampooer will clean these nicely.

• Susan

Maybe a closeup would help you see better. Before it was washed, it looked like very dirty cotton.

• Susan

I live in Florida, and I'm not sure what time of year it was. Maybe june. The air runs full time, takes out moisture. No mold.