Ann Marie
Ann Marie
  • Saint Charles, IL

Painting Trim, a Before and After

$50
1 Week

We are in the process of painting the trim in our home and here is a before and after, or more like a before and during, of our living room.
The wall color is Valspar "Stillness" and the trim color is Valspar "Bistro White". We primed the trim with Zinsser Cover Stain. The trim and floors are original to the 1937 house. I do like dark trim, but ours had a lot of wear, abuse, and paint splatters. The chandelier is a $5 garage sale find.
I cannot believe how much the white trim and calm, light blue transform the room. It is like being in someone else's home. Thanks for reading!
A before and after of our trim, now painted white.
Ann Marie

• Diane Sharon-Heichel

I don't find any mention of sanding the trim before the primer or between the primer and paint. Did you not do any?

• Rae

check out the website she mentioned. Explains all the steps

• C

I want to know what color you used on the walls. That is exactly the color I am looking for!

I painted the woodwork in my 160 yr old house white but left the oak in the Living room as it matched the pillars and the staircase. Loved the white but found I had to paint it every few years as it yellowed.
    • PaulaC

Read the first paragraph above, she names the color and brand.

• I bought a house that has nicotine stains on the trim. I guess someone smoked in there alot. What is the best paint to cover the stains?