Vintage Enamel Colander Hanging Planter

An old enameled colander that is too rusty to use in the kitchen is PERFECT for repurposing as a DIY hanging planter. Click HERE for my full blog post and all the DIY details!
I kept seeing these wonderful vintage enameled colanders in antiques stores and vintage shops, and thought "Wouldn't that make a wonderful planter?". I mean, it has built-in drainage holes!
After finding the perfect one for the perfect price, I set about repurposing it. First step- I clipped a carabiner to each handle.
To keep the carabiner locked in place, I secured it with heavy gauge craft wire. This way, it won't slide around and will stay in an upright position.
Before adding soil and flowers, I added a layer of cheese cloth. Why? It won't impede the drainage, but it'll help keep soil and roots from poking through. Click HERE for my full tutorial and additional DIY details!
After adding potting soil and flowers, I clipped a length of chain to each carabiner, end to end, and hung it from my front porch. Isn't it lovely? And I have a GREAT pro tip for hanging it on my blog- be sure to check out how I ensure even sunlight for my planter!

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Everything Red For Canada Day
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Sadie Seasongoods

• Vre28112441

Instead of cheesecloth, I have some old, runny pantyhose. Would that do?
    • Barb VanOsdell

I’ve been planting colinders for years. Instead of cheesecloth I use a few coffee filters. Works perfect to keep soil and roots inside the container.

• Carey

This is a lovely idea, I think rather than a hanging planter, I would like to put it on a Pedestal, maybe a 6" Piece of PVC Pipe as the pedestal, placed over a fence post so that it won't fall over! : )

• Stolzy

This is a great idea. I've got 2 old ones with the old star pattern.

I've used coffee filters and have had no problems.

Thsnk for the great idea.