Vintage Enamel Colander Hanging Planter

An old enameled colander that is too rusty to use in the kitchen is PERFECT for repurposing as a DIY hanging planter. Click HERE for my full blog post and all the DIY details!
I kept seeing these wonderful vintage enameled colanders in antiques stores and vintage shops, and thought "Wouldn't that make a wonderful planter?". I mean, it has built-in drainage holes!
After finding the perfect one for the perfect price, I set about repurposing it. First step- I clipped a carabiner to each handle.
To keep the carabiner locked in place, I secured it with heavy gauge craft wire. This way, it won't slide around and will stay in an upright position.
Before adding soil and flowers, I added a layer of cheese cloth. Why? It won't impede the drainage, but it'll help keep soil and roots from poking through. Click HERE for my full tutorial and additional DIY details!
After adding potting soil and flowers, I clipped a length of chain to each carabiner, end to end, and hung it from my front porch. Isn't it lovely? And I have a GREAT pro tip for hanging it on my blog- be sure to check out how I ensure even sunlight for my planter!

Sadie Seasongoods

• Vre28112441

Instead of cheesecloth, I have some old, runny pantyhose. Would that do?
    • Carey

Your runny pantyhose would also work, all you are looking for is something to keep the soil in the pot and allow the water to drain so that your flowers don't drown. Nylons will not disintegrate quickly, but will probably have to be replaced on a yearly basis.

• Maude LaFountain

Sweet!!! I love that ....I have been collecting Colanders and I would love to do this but I just don't have a green thumb me and plants just don't get along ...but maybe there is some plants out there that I can use that I won't have to do a whole lot too !!!
  • Carey

This is a lovely idea, I think rather than a hanging planter, I would like to put it on a Pedestal, maybe a 6" Piece of PVC Pipe as the pedestal, placed over a fence post so that it won't fall over! : )