Succulent Singer Treadle Makeover

I finally got to keep a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine base after making over 4 and selling 2 of the 4 makeovers so far. This latest one is a later model - the foot treadle, wheel and guard are cast iron, but the straight legs on this one are not. Not sure what they are made of and the cabinet was made of cheap laminate rather than the older style which is made from timber. Anyhow, I pulled the sewing machine head out and will be selling that and I only wanted the frame for the garden, so the twenty dollars I paid for it did not seem too untoward. I have not even bothered to paint the frame on this one! I had the perfect 'table top' for it. A metal tray I picked up for free from kerb side throw out. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this one. Plant up a tray of succulents for the top. I drilled some holes in the tray and filled the tray with a mix of potting mix and sand for good drainage. I have put a couple of little plants in it so far and some leaves that should make new plants. I added some sea shells that I got from the beach a few years back that had been sitting in a bag in the wardrobe, so I have used these as mulch. Once the plants fill out is should look a lot better. I love it when a plan comes together! I might paint the base when the weather is better in the Spring, but for now I am happy with the rusty, rustic look!

• Hannah V

This is just plain out awesome!

• Diana Wearing

That's cool! I've never seen a Singer base like that - love it!

• Carole

@Diana Wearing Thanks Diana. The Singer base is a cheap version they used to produce for schools (or at least this is what a collector told me). The sides are not cast iron but the rest of the base is. So the sides are plain and straight whereas the usual Singer frames are very ornate. That is one reason I decided to keep this one for the garden, well that and the fact I only paid 20 bucks for it and also had the metal tray that I was itching to grow succulents in! I have seen the frames painted in bright colours with a glass top but in this instance, I was too lazy to paint and went for the rusted look - far less work for me - LOL!