Composting | A Gardener Without Compost Is No Gardener At All

For gardeners composting is one of the greatest ways they can tend to the quality of their soil. Composting can be an intimidating thing to take on for the beginning gardener and through this article I'm going to try to demystify some of the keys to beginning a compost bin.

The Black Thumb Gardener

• Cin R

I unloaded a yard of fine screen compost from the truck just yesterday. Spread it on one side of our apple hedge (17 trees). Now need a never 2 or 3 truck loads to finish.

• Tina Krenz

I love to have my herb and vegetable garden, which will take the whole side of the house I plan on using for it, and there any space left for having a compost anywhere. What else can I do? There's simply no room for any compost.

• Bonny McDaniel

@Fiona Dorse I agree with you! Even if the veggie garden has to be chopped off by two or three feet, you need a compost pile. I have 1/3 of an acre so space isn't a problem...however, my compost pile is 3x3 feet and supplies all I need...some leaves, a few weeds that haven't gone to seed yet, all veggie and fruit scraps and coffee grounds w/filters, a little soil now and then (I have tight, red clay soil and I put some of it into the compost pile), a few wood ashes once in awhile, grass clippings (these really heat the pile up!), etc. The store-bought stuff can't compare with this homemade brew.