Christine T
Christine T
  • Port Saint Lucie, FL
Asked on Jan 24, 2013

I'm trying to hang a curtain rod over a sliding glass door, but keep hitting something that I can't drill through.

Christine TWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comKMS Woodworks
+1

The house is built of cement blocks, but there is drywall on the walls. I had another house that was the same type, but never had a problem with hanging curtain rods. The anchors can't get in far enough to hold the rod in with whatever is stopping it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • KMS Woodworks

I'd pick up some tapcons http://www.concretescrews.com/ and drill pilots...these screws come in a two sizes and different lengths.

• Christine T

Thank you so much, I'll give them a try.

• Tapcons will work. But using a hammer drill is going to be important. You are hitting the block wall behind the drywall. Sometimes over the door they use a precast cement header and in some other cases they use a steel angle iron. If your hitting the steel then tapcons will not work. You will need a metal drill bit that is sized properly for plastic anchors drill out, put anchor in and then screw to fasten rod bracket.

• Christine T

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!