Here Are 10 Gorgeous Designer Tricks for Your Dollar Store Pots

You know these cheap Dollar Store flower pots?
via Kristin @[url=http://myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com/sprucing-up-the-yard-with-upcycled-dollar-store-planters/]My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia[/url]
Instead of plopping your plants down into dull plastic pots, give your containers a dazzling designer upgrade, with these 8 gorgeous ideas from brilliant Hometalkers!

1. Antique your plastic pots

Photo via [url=http://www.thepaletteblog.com/blog/painted-garden-pots/]The Palette[/url]
Wish you had a secret cottage garden of your own? Add century-old English garden pieces to your porch, by transforming ordinary plastic pots from the Dollar Store with just a bit of chalk paint!

2. Nail on slats of pallet wood

Photo via Ann @[url=http://makethebestofthings.blogspot.co.il/2015/03/pallet-wood-planter-covers-diy-part-1.html]Make the Best of Things[/url]
If you've got a crush on rustic decor, you'll LOVE this! The middle step might look a little scary, but the result is amazing!

3. Spray paint a faux French patina

Photo via Carolyn @[url=http://www.carolynshomework.com/2013/01/show-tell-french-herb-pots-and-cha-wrap.html]Homework[/url]
Looking for some tres magnifique dressing for your mantel or windowsill? Change the look of any cheap pot (even some unattractive finds, like these), with a pearly, French style makeover.

4. Paint a stoney finish

If your garden's full of brick details and stoney ornaments, paint your pots to match, with this clever upgrade.

5. Cover the surface with sand

Photo via Barb @[url=http://www.everydayhomeblog.com/2015/05/how-to-make-sand-covered-pots.html]The Everyday Home[/url]
Are you a coastal decor addict? Us too! Cover a stack of .99 cent terra cotta pots in grainy sand, and top them off with pretty shells.

6. Paste on graphic transfers

Photo via Robin @[url=http://www.allthingsheartandhome.com/2013/04/transferring-images-onto-terra-cotta-flower-pots/]All Things Heart & Home[/url]
If you're head over heels for terra cotta, it's time to step up your game, by printing or digging out your favorite graphic, and transferring the image to your flower pots.

7. Wrap your pots with rope

Project via April @[url=http://housebyhoff.blogspot.co.il/2013/05/rope-wrapped-painted-terra-cotta.html]House by Hoff[/url]
Does your outdoor dining area need a drop more interest? These rope wrapped planters are an easy way to add some texture to cheap terra cotta pots!

8. Decoupage pots in paper napkins

Project via Aniko @[url=http://placeofmytaste.com/2015/03/decoupaged-terra-cotta-pots.html]Place of My Taste[/url]
Raid the leftovers from your last cocktail party and reuse those pretty paper napkins to update a set of small pots.

9. Gild a pattern across the front

Project via Christine @[url=http://www.thecrafty-woman.com/2014/02/party-with-michaels-and-hometalkcom.html]The Crafty Woman[/url]
If you're a modern design guru, these pastel painted pots lined with golden shapes are the $3 decoration your home is begging for.

10. Stamp it with a message

Project via Chelsea @[url=http://www.makinghomebase.com/spring-decor-stamped-mini-pots/]Making Home Base[/url]
Whether you're an admirer of miniature decor or not, you've probably just had your heart stolen by these little flower pots with stamped summertime messages. Think of all the sweet phrases you can add to yours!
Which designer pots will you add to your garden this summer? Let us know how you're decorating your own!
[b]Share these with fellow thrifty gardeners![/b]

• Djg3144982

Really like the terra cotta with the transfers but I wonder how long it would last ? I've never tried anything like that. Looks cool.

• Brandi Lynn

I thought the same thing - unless maybe trying it with sharpies and then baking it like a mug?

• Carolyn Smith

@Brandi Lynn Those pots are plastic so they wouldn't bake well.

• Color Natural Decor

Use Modge Podge for outdoors. I have a bench I did with it years ago and it has lasted amazingly well.

• Tom3592537

@Jill Jacoby

• Tom3592537

I never used M.P. I'll give it a try!

• SharonJ

@Djgeorgiou I bet you they would last about a month before the damp inside the pot destroyed the glue. Some of these ideas look great, but would last as long as they did not get wet or have a real plant in them ")

• Mary Lee Norris

@SharonJ I was painting terra cotta pots in the 70s (before anyone else! :-) ) and it lasts for years as long as you apply a clear sealant to both the inside and the outside. Helps the soil retain moisture, as well.

• Mary Lee Norris

@Carolyn Smith The ones with the transfers are not plastic--they're terra cotta, as djgeorgiou says, so they could be baked. But applying a clear sealant would work as well, or better.

• And3938067

What is the best pink diy???

• Elaine

Pardon? Can you be a bit more specific, please? Would be glad to help if I can but not sure what you are asking.

• Cynthia

Love it, the ones with the napkins look awesome too, but I wonder how long they would last?

• Ann

Those transfers on the terra cottats are beautiful. ..where would I purchae those ?

• Lea Perrins

You don't need to buy them. You print them out form the internet and do a transfer depending ont he type of printer you have. Look up a tutorial. The other answer would be to buy a stencil but that is expensive. You could also cut your own stencil but its very time consuming.

• Susan Savage

Esty has some nice paper napkins. I like paper napkins for some projects because you can separated the ply and have something very thin to work with..I also found some interesting napkins at a party store where they sell balloons etc.

• Linda Woody

Graphysfairy.com. even has instruction on how to transfer onto different mediums. Great site and free graphics

• Mmj5357049

Thanks for the info. I will definitely heck it out.

• Dolores DeLuise

*graphicsfairy*

• Gramcracker

What kind of paint or sealer do you use to make sure the new finish stay's during rain, sun, heat etc.?

• Clara Mcmenamin

i liked the pots with the sand idea. how does the sand stick to the pot?

• Kailee

You can get sand and stone textured spray paint at walmart or any home improvement store! It works great!

• Chi3958627

Adaugă un răspuns ...Eu am procedat cu praf de piatra mozaic alb

• Veronia G

Glue

• Kay p.

I bet you could also use Epsom Salts,but you might have to keep it inside. Would like to try it.

• Helen Arnemann Hennigan

Can I decoupage plastic planters? In the link she uses terra cotta

• Missbev

You can decoupage plastic containers. You can also spray paint them with paint for plastic. You certainly don't have to have terra cotta.

• Sherry H.

Yes you can, the same as you do Terra Cotta. Sherry Hampton :)

• Sherry H.

Rope on pots How do you bind the rope to the pots? Can you use decoupage glue? Thanks for the ideas. They all look great! :) sherry Hampton

• Aro1695948

I made this pot and used a hot glue gun. One in the house and used colored rope for patio

• Chris Price

liquid nail will hold longer. You could also use carpet glue. Both are better options.

• Nance Freeman

After you have painted or decorated these, can you put them outside?

• Jen21600896

What paint holds best to plastic pots?

• Rosanne Cleveland-King

Michaels or Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's has spray paint for plastic, I can't think of the name but they can help you.

• Rose

Most rustoleum spray state that they stick to plasti. I use them successfully quite a bit and no problem. $3-350 per can has good coverage.
    • Nancy

Rose is right. Rustloeum is good stuff and lots of colors to chose from .
    • Nancy Moore Conner

I painted my pot first with white acrylic (craft) paint from Walmart--let it dry completely, then painted it a Blue acrylic paint--let dry--then I added 5 coats of Mod Podge letting it dry 30 min. in between each coat. Has worked so far!!!!
      Nancy from Mississppi
    • Denise Palmer

I used pva glue as a primer,then used cuprinol paint left over from painting garden shed a couple of coats was enough and finished off with a coat of yacht varnish from the £1 shop. The pots are ready for 3rd summer and still in tip top condition.

• Anna Alford

What is the best paint for plastic pots?

• Rosanne Cleveland-King

• BARBARA

also Walmart carries it PLASTIC PAINT FOR PLASTIC POTS OR CHAIRS

• Gina

What about a coat of killz? And regular spray paint?
    • Carolyn W.

Lowes and Home Depot have the spray paint that will cover plastic. But the Kilz is a great idea too!!

• Martie

Krylon spray paint plus clear spray on sealer will last for years.

• Cary Ann Lawson

rustoleum universal

• CAR33952108

At True Value we carry Rusolium's 2X line. We love these. They will stick to nearly anything and there are sooo many colors to chose from!

• Julia Kelley

Best for plastic pots is any brand that is made to use specifically on plastic.

• Pat Wright

Rustoleum actually has a spray paint for plastic that works great. Find it in a home improvement store.

• Rpries31

Krylon colormaxx is good. it's a primer and color.

• Janet

Water paint

• Linda Dodson

Which Dollar Store are you referring to? I am having a hard time findings these at a Dollar Store.
  • Mary M Braunlich

For the rustic pallet project, when you say "nail" on the pallets to the plastic pot, are you referring to Liquid Nails?

• Jds8045755

When you apply the napkins with mod podge, won't it come off when

the pot gets wet?

Do you apply the napkin with something else that is water proof?

Thanks

• Toudjidoum Meurdé joel

I would know if this project is in relate with project which is tending to acheive.

Obviously it consists of building the kids'English learning center.

• Northwest BRRR

I bet you thought of leakage right. I would put hot wax over each nail hole to seal it. I so like all your great ideas keep them coming BRRR freeing here in the Great North West Ontario