Easy DIY Concrete Planter

$10

Each month, a group of blog friends and I get together to make a project around one common ingredient from Home Depot. This month's item we had to incorporate was concrete. I had never really worked with concrete before and it was a great learning experience.
I wanted to create something that was for concrete newbies like myself. I wanted it to be easy yet beautiful! Enter: DIY Concrete Planter. This planter is made from an old towel drenched in concrete and hung over a bucket to dry. Couldn't be easier!
Materials needed:
– 1/2 bag of QUIKRETE
– 1 mixing stick for concrete
– water, accordingly
– 2 5-gallon buckets
– 1 towel
The steps to this project are extremely basic, and I’ll tell you my errors in the process so that you don’t run into them yourself.
For this project you’ll want to wear rubber gloves: I hear concrete poisoning isn’t too pretty!
First, fill half of a 5-gallon bucket with concrete (you’ll want to mix it with enough water to make it a little soupier than normal, but not too runny).
Take an old towel (I used a raggedy tan towel I found in our linen closet), and take a second 5-gallon bucket and flip it upside down. Lay the towel over the bucket to test the length of the towel. You’ll want the ends to just be touching the ground, but you don’t want too much excess. If your towel is too long, cut some of the length off on either side. Keep measuring the towel on your bucket until you get the size you desire.
Put your towel into the concrete bucket. Keep mixing your towel around and cover every single centimeter of it in concrete. This is the most important step–my towel had a few spots not covered in concrete, and you ended up seeing those spots in the final product.
Once your entire towel is covered in the concrete slush, drape it over the upside down and bucket. Move it around and make sure the sides are even and laid out how you want them to look.
If you see any bare spots, now is the time to take some concrete and patch those spots.
Let the planter dry for 24-48 hours. Once completely dry, remove the bucket from the concrete towel. Flip the planter right-side up. Fill with soil and a plant. Display proudly!
Head over to the blog to see the rest of the projects in this month's Home Depot Gift Challenge! Believe me, you don't want to miss these projects.

TheRusticWillow

• Linda Kuhn

L🧡ve it! Will definitely be doing this

I’m thinking of cutting a strip of denim and making a ribbon bow to add to lower half dipped in the concrete as well. Was there any mixture left after the towel to do this?

• Brenda Lanning

Can you color the cement

• Elizabeth

My concrete towel didn’t set hard enough- what can I do to stiffen it up?! Thx

• Bonnie Crim

Yes, I will. There is an older woman on utube that does a lot of plant containers with concrete. I’ve watched her videos a lot and seeing this( which the Utube lady has already done and has a video on it ) and am now inspired again to do it. ZC

• Butterfly

This is absolutely genius. I have never been more excited about duplicating a project then I am now. We have what I call garage towels that tend to get so dirty that even after several washings they still look really bad. I hate to throw them away just because they look bad but after seeing this I can now repurpose them. I think I may also coloring them to match my outside decor. Thank you so much for the inspiration. Fabulous just fabulous!!