Asked on Jun 17, 2015

Repurposing old window weights

AlanPix1767122Barbara
+15

I saved 10 old iron(?) window weights when we replaced the windows in our 100+ year-old house. 4 are slightly slimmer and lighter and 6 are heavier. Each has a hole through one end where the rope passed thru. All are still rusty. I haven't tried to do anything with them so I don't know how they'll clean up. I'm assuming they'll have to be painted. Any ideas? Anyone ever done any projects with these? Did you like the results?
  • PainterNoni
    PainterNoni

Oh, beautiful...........hanging sculpture? The rust is lovely.........just smooth down a bit

• Carol
      Carol

@PainterNoni Interesting.... Maybe I can come up with a cool design. I'll post the pics if I do. Thanks!

• Dee
    Dee

I was just going to put my old weights and pulleys on Craigslist, as I can't come up with anything to do them. I've got about 40 of them, and I really hate to take them to the scrap yard. I know some restorers use them. I'll be watching for any great ideas!

• Dee
      Dee

@Dee So, I got several responses when I finally posted these last month. I sold them to the first person who responded. When we did the "exchange", I had to ask what she was doing with them. Well, she belongs to a group that trains dogs for Search & Rescue, etc. They were using them as weights for the dogs to pull. I was SO happy they were put to such great use.

• Dee
    Dee

How about a rain chain, or a wind chimes? I love the rusty look! You could also use as little markers for your plants, just loop the tag through the holes. If you are planning a large event you could 'plant' them in a floral centerpiece with a table number . . .

• Carol
      Carol

@Dee I love rain chains and have been seriously thinking of adding at least one to our house. Never thought of using the weights for that. My husband is a builder so I'm sure he can help me with the hanging weight details. This may be the answer. I'll post pics if we make this happen. Thanks!

• Helen
    Helen

Why don't you try using them as fence posts around a flower garden or such. You could tie rope around and through to mimick a shore theme. Now I want to do this!

• Carol
      Carol

Great idea! We are currently remodeling our room addition into a salon & the interior theme will be somewhat beach-like. We're putting anything but grass outside the entrance so the nautical look would fit beautifully! Thanks!

• Bev Deardurff
    Bev Deardurff

All of our windows in our house have them. I doubt we'll replace the old windows for new ones. We're both on fixed incomes and my husband won't put any work into the house.I thought that I would just repair them myself. I know you have to pry the wood off the sides of the windows to reach them. Right now, I'm working on downsizing and decluttering useless items I don't use anymore. But for some reason these windows get replaced I'm saving the weights. I like the idea of making them into fence posts. Sorry I really couldn't come up with any ideas.

• Barbara
    Barbara

I like the idea of wind chimes and that was my first inclination. The rain chain is also a great idea. Faux fence posts might incur additional rust that can leach into the soil and ground water.

• Neva Dew
      Neva Dew

pixilated, I agree. I would worry more about the weights rusting away and being gone forever. They are an antique treasure that should be preserved while they are re-purposed.

• Pix1767122
    Pix1767122

If you like the natural look of the iron you can paint them with linseed oil. When the linseed dries it forms a protective surface and gets a really beautiful patina! You must do this outside on on a foil surface as linseed gets hot as it dries. Be sure and read the safety instructions for disposal of the used brushes and cloths/paper towels as they can be combustible. I see them as the tops of cattail reeds. Know a welder who could put on rods for you? BTW: linseed is another name for flax seed. No worries about poisoning the earth when you use it. And no worries about the iron getting into our ground or water as it is a natural element that our plants (and we) need for healthy growth. Our earth's crust is 32% iron. ;)

• Alan
    Alan

I attempted wind chimes, but only a hurricane could move them. Good luck! You could scrap them for the metal.

• Lindelou
      Lindelou

I was thinking of windchimes where the weight stays still and hanging bottles blow against the weights?