Connie dye
Connie dye
  • Meadowview, VA
Asked on Jan 25, 2013

how to do a wall mural

ZDouglas Hunt
+4

I want to do a painted mural on a wall in my craft room...
  • Z

Hi Connie. More info would help. Can you draw? Is it simple in design or do you need to know how to shade it to make it look somewhat realistic? If you have a photo of the idea you want to copy it would help if you share that.

I suggest you look for a course, Connie. Several years ago I became smitten with the idea of painting a Rufus Porter-style mural in my entry way. I found a weekend course in Vermont on doing just that, and learned enough to come back and paint my mural a few weeks later.

• Z

Great idea @Douglas Hunt Have you shared your mural on HT? I'd love to see it.

It was quite a photography challenge because of the space, Becky, but here is a photo from the Realtor's site when I listed the house that will give you an idea.

q how to do a wall mural, painting, Mural painted in the style of Rufus Porter 1792 1884 Photo via
  • Z

Oh WOW @Douglas Hunt that is gorgeous. I bet you hated to leave that behind.

There were many difficult things to leave behind about that house, Becky, but I have carried the happy memories with me.

• Z

I know exactly what you mean @Douglas Hunt The last home we left was the most difficult move even though we were moving into our dream home. So many memories were tied to that home. I lived there longer than I had any one place before then, but as you said, the memories move with us.