Best Chalk Paint Recipe Ever and Chair Makeover to Prove It!

As much as I would love to be a part of the A.S. Chalk Paint revolution, I'm just too cheap and it's just too expensive. Plus, I'm a DIYer by heart and if I can make something myself, that is what I'll do before buying it. I've tried all of the recipe combinations out there and this by far is my favorite. I've played around with the ratios and this is a great combo.
For the new series up on my blog, Mom's Riverside Bedroom Makeover, she had an old cane chair that needed some love. As you can see, the finish, details and shape are all lovely, just the caning was destroyed.
So I whipped up a batch of my homemade chalk paint-
1-2 tbsp of unsanded grout mixed with a bit of water. I like to make it to be about yogurt consistency.
Then add 1-2 cups of latex paint.
On this chair, I gave it 1 coat using a synthetic paint brush- nothing fancy. Allowed it to dry then sanded it with 280-320 grit sandpaper with a light hand. You'll see how quickly it smooths out. Then I gave it a second coat and followed with another light sanding to smooth and distress in all the right places.
I finished it by sealing with with coats of clear DecoArt cream wax and gave it a nice buffing with a white t-shirt.
Now for the seat. I measured and cut to fit pieces of scrap 1 x 4 that I had laying around. Using a Kreg Jig, I drilled pocket holes to attach the wood to the chair.
Now, I'm not really one to go sewing things, but Mom is. So, if she doesn't like my remnant fabric and glue gunned cushion, she surely will make one herself. At least the chair is beautiful.
For more tips and tricks, and everything DIY home related, click on over to my blog and OnBlissStreet.com!

OnBlissStreet

• Charlotte Emerson Handley

Mobile home update with cabinets that need help! Shiny veneer/ wood like.

Think this mixture will work? Also what about a finish to help the color endure past all the opening and closings. I sure don’t want to do this twice!!

Light grey walls with charcoal- ish wood flooring . White trim.

• Judy Gerardi

That is so beautiful!!! Thank you. I bought a 3 paneled screen at a consignment store and would like to use it for a twin bed headboard. The problem is that it's really long hard shiny wood or veneer and I don't think it will take paint, but maybe your recipe will work. Do you have any suggestions? The screen has many cutouts with glass for all different sized photos and I'm not sure about he color. The walls are gold and I just picked up a white 47" table to use next to the bed, so maybe white...

• OnBlissStreet

@Judy Gerardi Hi Judy, yes this recipe will work on that type of material. I often find dressers and desks that have that kind of top and they work great. Just make sure you do a couple coats of the wax to protect. As far as color goes, this paint covers great and has a nice matte finish. If you want it to have a bit more sheen, just buff out the wax with an old white t-shirt. Maybe a french blue or a light gray against the gold walls would be really pretty ;)

• Judy Gerardi

Thank you so much and I'm off to the store. I'll keep you posted and try to send before and after photos.. I said try.