DIY Rock Patio

About 5 yearss ago we added a rock patio to our back yard. I say we, but my handy hubby, Clay, did most of the work. Those rocks were heavy! ;) I did add my opinion here & there. Hey...that's important. :) We had this little unused section of the yard between the deck & the house. It just needed something!
I loved how this patio added so much entertaining room to our back yard space! :)
We collected all of the amazing rocks from our property that we own not far from our house. We live in Northwest Arkansas. So finding huge rocks like this is no problem. ;) It saved us a ton of money!
First, we pulled out all the grass & tilled the soil. Be sure to have the utility company come out & mark any water or electrical lines before you start tilling.
We tried to make it as smooth & level as possible. It wasn't perfect, but close enough. ;)
Next, we added a weed barrier.
Then we started adding the rocks. We tried to make sure they were as level as possible.
It took a while to piece all of the rocks together. It was like doing a giant puzzle.
Next we filled in the cracks with a special sand from Home Depot made especially for projects just like this. It stays in place pretty well.
We also added some new steps coming down from our deck.
We really enjoyed our new space for several years! We recently added a sunroom onto our house (were the deck was) & now our rock patio is underneath our brand new deck! I'll have to post pictures of that huge project later on!
Here's a picture of our rock patio about a year after we put it in. It really held up nice. :)

Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

• Gary

What type of sand between the stone

• Gramas joy

We also have used a filler. Its sand and tiny lime crush. I think it's called "crush" in some areas. We r in Chicago. When its placed then wet in becomes like concrete.

• Cj57

Like the way that came out, just wondering, how deep did u go (e.g. 1' or so? this determines the wt it can hold) the reason I ask, wanted to do that style for my driveway).

• Dani Bacon Woodford

Just absolutely love it!!! Thos has goven me some ideas...thank you for sharing

• Carol Cole

Love it. You did a wonderful job. I wish I had one just like it. But I'am too old and not stable enough.