Diana Wearing
Diana Wearing
  • Oregon, WI

Natural Mosquito Repelling Planters

We’ve tried so many mosquito repelling products over the years with mixed results I kept seeing & hearing about plants that deter the little pests and liked the idea of using a natural not chemical deterrent so I figured why not give them a try…
natural mosquito repelling planters, container gardening, gardening, pest control
These all work kind of…but the idea of a natural product is very appealing ~
This was one of my husband’s brilliant ideas to keep the deck mosquito free…it worked just not really attractive or safe...
For my planters I used lemon grass, lemon verbena, peppermint, catnip & scented geraniums...added bonus you can make tea with most of them :) other plants with repelling powers are lavender, basil, rosemary, bee balm & mint I'll be adding a few of these to my next planter and around the deck ~
I was skeptical but they worked as well as most of the products we’ve tried in the past at keeping the surrounding area mosquito free ~ I’ll definitely continue using these types of plants in planters and around the deck ~

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden

• Maggie Murphy

Does anyone have a photo of Lantana please? Not familiar with it here in Ireland. Thank you.

• Gal8593216

Maggie, I grew lantana in the North west coast of the highlands of Scotland,so I am sure it will grow in Ireland. It is easy to grow and not fussy about soil. It is better to not water it too much,but then give it a good soak. If you dead head it it will produce more flowers. It does not like frost. It is lovely to watch the insects that come to it. An added attraction is that the flowers that are yellow change to orange then red after being pollinated :) I looked outside today being evergreen it is always lovely to look at. I am pleased it is still alive. I am covering it with fleece when the temperature drops. Fran

• Gal8593216

Thanks for the warning about dogs! Maggie, I grew lantana in the North west coast of the highlands of Scotland,so I am sure it will grow in Ireland. It is easy to grow and not fussy about soil. It is better to not water it too much,but then give it a good soak. If you dead head it it will produce more flowers. It does not like frost. It is lovely to watch the insects that come to it. An added attraction is that the flowers that are yellow change to orange then red after being pollinated :) I looked outside today being evergreen it is always lovely to look at. I am pleased it is still alive. I am covering it with fleece when the temperature drops. Fran

• Srbaber

I will be giving this a try. Mosquitos munch on me so much that I can't even sit on the porch to watch the grandbabies play. The bite(s) double/triple in size and I'm left with a very large itchy red welp. It's horrible!

Thanks for sharing!!