Vikki
Vikki
  • Levittown, NY

Garden Wishing Well

I've wanted a garden wishing well since I bought my house... I've been especially jealous of the hand made ones I often see done by the Amish in Lancaster PA. But they're hundreds of dollars, and for the size and customization I wanted--there's no way I could've afforded it. So I figured how hard can it be? I've built a number of items by winging it--imagine if I actually follow plans!
how to make a wooden garden wishing well, gardening, how to, outdoor living, woodworking projects
I built it out of pressure treated wood, even knowing it'd be painted, for extra durability. I followed a set of plans I found online, but adapted some. The base was followed exactly because the angles needed to be perfect.
The base alone weighed a ton and I knew we couldn't move it altogether to the front yard, so I painted the pieces separately to complete putting together up front.
This bad boy is 6 feet tall and painter with exterior paint to match the house.
One departure from the plans was instead of using shaker style shingles, I went with the same type as the roof on my house
I actually couldn't be prouder of this!
And here's how it looks in front of the house

Vikki

• Lori Patrick

Hi there. Did you sand the wood before applying the exterior paint on the wishing well? Mine is bare wood and needs some love and attention and I just need to know if I should wash the wood with soap and water, then sand, and then paint with a glorious red and deep deep blue. Please help me. Thanks so much, Lori

• George C.

Where are the plans?

• Jeremy

what is the inside diameter of your wishing welol.