Lin
Lin
  • San Francisco, CA

DIY Woven Basket From a Tomato Cage

So, I’ve been into this weaving thang lately. Because of it, I’ve hoarded yarn like a New Zealand ewe in the dead of winter. My hoarding tendencies have forced me to come up with storage options that are a) pretty to look at and b) fun to make. And that’s what this DIY is all about.
All the materials you need.
All the materials you need.
You’ll need:
* A tomato cage that’s been sawed/cut
* Twine, string, rope…whatever suits your 50 Shades of Grey fancy
* Painters tape (not shown because you know what it looks like and I simply forgot to include it in the pic)
Step-by-step.
Step-by-step.
But all you do is tie a knot and start weaving your twine/rope in an over-under manner. I decided to use two colors (yellow and white) to give my basket a little interest. Weave one color at a time.
Bring yarn over and under.
Bring yarn over and under.
One thing to remember is to not pull down on the rope too tightly. If the tension is too tight, your basket will go wonky. Using painters tape to secure your weave will help a ton.
Great for yarn storage!
Great for yarn storage!
Into your new home you go, little balls of yarn.
Ta dah!
Ta dah!
When it comes to crafting, there’s no denying that I’ve become a complete basket case.
Go get your weave on!
Lin

• Paula Wheeler

Why cut it down? Couldn't you use the full size for a taller basket ...more vertical storage always needed for crafting.

• Dianne

I have an old lamp shade ...gonna see if this works. Thanks for the idea!

• Joanie

This is a cute idea......You inspired me to use binder twine and make 2 baskets for my d.i.law. 1 for onions and 1 for potatoes. Thank you!!