DIY Kitchen Backsplash

My old outdated kitchen.
I really wanted a unique, copper backsplash but that wasn't in the budget. I decided to create my own using foam board, foam paper, heavy duty aluminum foil, modge podge, hammered copper spray paint, pewter glaze and semi-gloss polyurethane.
Cut foam board to size, duct tape joints, glue shapes cut out of foam paper to board, crinkle aluminum foil and smooth out (about a foot longer than board), spread modge podge over everything a section at a time and stick aluminum foil down pressing around shapes, rolling pin over surface to smooth, paint, spread glaze on wipe of till desired effect, polyurethane, use double sided mounting tape to stick to wall.
Painted cabinets, new hardware and backsplash
I love the artistic, uniqueness of my new kitchen!

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden

• Teri
    Teri

What is the color on your cabinets? It is gorgeous! I am looking for the perfect color and I think I just found it!!

• Angie Current
    Angie Current

How is it to clean? Worry about wiping finish off when cleaning.

• Lisa Zeimetz
    Lisa Zeimetz

This is an awesome idea. How washable is it for dirt and grease?

• Des Hedrick-Bodyke
    Des Hedrick-Bodyke

Greetings! Do you have any more specific instructions with maybe pics that I might follow? Please advise, thanks!

• Henri001
    Henri001

how is this holding up? It looks sooooo cute...do you have to use care so you don't scrape it or dent it? How is it to clean up splatters?

• Shirley
    Shirley

OMG! That is fabulous! I wish I would have seen this BEFORE I put up some thermoplastic stuff...ummm wondering if I could use you technique on that?

• Lorna Reed Jean
    Lorna Reed Jean

I have the same question as Lisa Zeimetz, how washable is it for dirt and grease? We recently updated our kitchen and used tin cellar tiles for the backsplash. I love it and it's easy clean up wipe with a damp cloth.

• Itsjustme
    Itsjustme

How did you paint the cabinets? Did you use an oil base paint or a sprayer?

• Cherie Denk
      Cherie Denk

@Itsjustme

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Lightly sanded, wiped down with a degreaser and painted with a Purdy brush using Brnjamin Moore latex semigloss Chelsea gray. Key is use the best paint and paint brush and do a great job degreasing. Mine were painted about 6 months ago. No chips at all!

• Itsjustme
      Itsjustme

Thanks so much! I think it looks great and like the color I have been envisioning in my kitchen. Love it!

• Donna
    Donna

Looks wonderful! Can you tell me what color, type and brand you used on the cabinets? Love the blue!

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray

• Donna
      Donna

@Beth Perret Thank you! After I wrote the question, I read the answer in earlier comments which I didn't see at first. You did a beautiful job with your project!

• Danielle
    Danielle

What color did you use for cabinets?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray

• Danielle
      Danielle

Looks great ! I just finished mine in the same color ,but in the cabinet paint. What an undertaking! So please with the way they came out. Thanks for the idea on the paint color.

• Pamela kitchen
    Pamela kitchen

looks great! how is it standing up to cleaning?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Haven't had any reason to scrub it but it is completely sealed and just wipes off.

• Wanday
    Wanday

How do you clean it??

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

It's completely sealed with polyurethane. I use Lysol or 409 when cleaning the kitchen.

• KKAbsherwrites
    KKAbsherwrites

Great job! I love copper details. What color gray did you use on the cabinets?

• Cristi
    Cristi

Hi. Is this pretty fragile afterwards? I was thinking about trying this on something that I would be portable but wasn't sure even with the polyurathan if it would hold up to moving and having weight put on it. Please give me your opinion. thanks. Cristo

• Zoey
    Zoey

Did you post details anywhere? I can't find them if you did.

• Jacqueline Marie Gagne
    Jacqueline Marie Gagne

May I have specific directions?

• Veronica Ronnie Taylor
    Veronica Ronnie Taylor

How exactly are the steps for backsplash? Did you take pictures? Thanks

• Janet Sfraga Delrosso
    Janet Sfraga Delrosso

I love how you did the back splash & it looks like you also changed the color of your wood cabinets. Can you tell me how you did it the cabinets?

• Mhouran
    Mhouran

I love this idea! Did you use only a single layer of alumunium foil? How is this holding up at scrubbing?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Yep...1 layer. Haven't had to scrub but holding up just fine with household cleaner.

• Carol stewart
    Carol stewart

Is this easy to clean?

• Shelby Morrison
    Shelby Morrison

Can I get instructions on backsplash.?

• Elaine
    Elaine

Did you have to prime the foil before painting...special paint?

• Deidrea Lohmeyer
    Deidrea Lohmeyer

How did she do the cabinets

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Lightly sanded and wiped down with degreaser...I used Krud Kutter....2 good coats of Benjamin Moore Semi Gloss paint....has primer in it

• Anni
    Anni

How durable is it? Normally foil punctures & tears easily. But LOVE IT!!

• Jill Ron Pike
    Jill Ron Pike

Very unique...I like that you painted the outlet covers to match. Were the holes for the outlets cut before you assembled everything, or after it was finished?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I measured very carefully and cut the holes before applying the foil.

• Amy
      Amy

Like right before u applied it? After all the other steps? I'll check under the picture. I thought ur instructions were very informative. Short and sweet Thank u. I absolutely love it! Even the copper! And I have it!! Except no glaze. Cream wax maybe? (Sorry second time asking about the glaze)

• Porttawney
    Porttawney

do you think you could use a variation of this to do a kitchen celing ? I really love the look.

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Definitely!

• Jan
      Jan

I would recommend if applying to ceiling you might want to use velcro instead of tape.

• Cheryl Richards
    Cheryl Richards

Do you know you cost o your finished product?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I had the paint and the foam paper but overall .....less than $100.00.

• Catherine Mckinley
    Catherine Mckinley

I love this !! I wish you had actual step by step directions that showed each step in your process as you did it for those of us who are not familiar with some of the materials or processes. I want to do this in our vacation house, it would be perfect!

• Arleen Conner
    Arleen Conner

is it easy to clean, or will it tear? Love the look

• Dawn Stotts
    Dawn Stotts

How did you do the cabinet

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Lightly sanded and wiped down with Krud Kutter degreaser. 2 good coats of Benjamin Moore Semi Gloss with a good brush. I use Purdy brushes only. These have been painted for several months and not one chip!

• Deb Bonns
      Deb Bonns

To make paint stick well without having to sand them, my professional painter just wipes on a "liquid sander deglosser" product that can be readily found at your local hardware store or online.

• Shanna Spencer
    Shanna Spencer

I am in love with this as well! I already knew that I wanted grey for my cabinets as well. I was getting hung up on back splash ideas because I also have limited space between my cabinets and counter top. Is there more step details or process pictures? What was used for the shapes??

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I used fun foam to cut out my shapes but use can use anything to give dimension and form the foil around.

• Shanna Spencer
    Shanna Spencer

What does this back splash feel like? Does it feel professional or does it feel like foil on foam? I'm dying to know if it feels as expensive as it looks!

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

It's hard to the touch. No one ever guesses it's foam and foil.

• Cher
    Cher

Great backsplash on a budget! I wonder if you have any suggestions on creating a faux tin ceiling with an old fashion, original looking design in 18-24" squares? This would be for my small bathroom that does get very steamy. I would like it to be painted white, but would consider another finish that would hold up better. Any suggestions would be welcome. It may spark further ideas of my own! Thanks in advance!!

• Janet
      Janet

@Cher We used the paintable wallpaper for our ceiling. They sell a special adhesive for using in bathrooms. Everyone raved about our ceilings. We even had a couple of contractors take pictures...everyone thought it was a tin ceiling util we told the truth! Anyway, I think the wallpaper would work on backsplashes too.

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I used this as the backsplash in the home we had before this one. It was beautiful!

• Cher
      Cher

@Janet what a great idea! I've heard it used in other applications but not a ceiling. If you have pictures and/or other information about the products used I would love to get this project done before it gets too hot to stand on a ladder with my head in the heat! Lol email: lady_rider@verizon.net Thanks so much!

• Deborah Anderson Bjorgum
    Deborah Anderson Bjorgum

did you do this with one long piece or several smaller ones

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I bought the largest pieces of foam board at Hobby Lobby. I did have to join together. I used duct tape on both sides of the seam and tried not to let it bend at all.

• Deborah Anderson Bjorgum
    Deborah Anderson Bjorgum

backsplash foil, one piece or did you use several pieces of foil. I just love this

• Georgia Gentry Quintero
    Georgia Gentry Quintero

Is there a problem with the foil tearing when smoothing over the cutouts?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

No....I used heavy duty foil

• Trudi Vecchione
      Trudi Vecchione

Great idea! The heavy duty foil is strong indeed. I decoupaged a table top with it.

• Heather
      Heather

Best idea would be to get 18" wide foil. I have a roll from BJs -- you can get the heavy-duty 18" wide foil for much less per square foot at a warehouse store like Costco, Sam's Warehouse or BJs. Or a restaurant supply store. That way you can be sure you'll have a single sheet to cover the entire length of your backsplash (you can piece it at the corners).
  • Tessa
    Tessa

What kind of paint can/did you use over foil?

• Anni
    Anni

Love it!! I think I will try a "sample" first to be sure I have the right technique. I do have a few questions: Was the foam board the inexpensive craft board like you can get at Walmart or is it something different? Did you do anything where the foil overlaps to keep it secure & blended in? What type/brand of glaze & Polyurethane did you use to seal it? I've never used these before so any tips are appreciated! If you'd like to email me direct that would be ok, noni.la@gmail.com. I'm soooo excited to try this. My little apartment needs some pizzazz! Thank you!!

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I got the foam board at Hobby Lobby. The foil didn't overlap as I rolled it out the length of the backsplash, I joined the foam board together by pulling together real tight with duck tape on both sides. I like Varithane polyurethane. I bought mine at Menards.

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Good luck!!😀

• Amy
    Amy

Can you please tell me what exactly the glaze part does? Is there something else I can use instead of glaze? If I didn't have that on hand, but have everything else and I wanna start, like NOW! lol. Maybe cream wax?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

You could dilute paint with a little water and dry brush or wipe off.

• Amy
      Amy

Oh ok. So it's more for the look of it than the sturdiness? I wasn't sure. Great and thank u so much for responding so quickly.

• Amy
      Amy

Love it!! Ur very creative

• Sheila Benz
    Sheila Benz

How is clean up on this?!

• Sheila Benz
    Sheila Benz

And can I ask what color cabinets are? It's all so pretty!

• Marlene Swigart
    Marlene Swigart

I live in and apt as well. Could small nails be used instead of double sided tape to attach to the wall?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

You would need to use a larger headed nail so it doesn't go through but it will leave and indention and most likely won't give you the look you want. You could use command strips.

• Pat
      Pat

I would use a spray adhesive meant for quilt making. MAKE SURE it's the kind that is temporary bond, not permanent. You should be able to wash it off after you strip of the aluminum (when you get ready to leave the rental)

• Ada809336
    Ada809336

are there more pictures to see exactly what you did? I love this but need how to pictures. thank you

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Nope sorry. I just had a brainstorm and went for it never even considering I would share on any kind of sight. I do crazy stuff all the time on a whim.

• Julia Womble
    Julia Womble

Do you leave the foil on the entire time after putting around shapes?

• Steve Lovelace
      Steve Lovelace

By the instructions & the look of the backsplash, You take aluminum foil, cut it larger than the foam board. Crinkle the aluminum foil up (that gives it that textured look). Apply Mod-Poz over the foam board, a section at a time (let's say 2 feet) apply Foil over foam board as directed. Continue gluing down Foil till your section is completely covered. Yes, leave the foil on.. Then spray paint paint, and so on... Note ; I personally would prime before painting, so paint will stick (stay on). Unless use primer/paint in one. I personally would use a foam-safe adhesive instead of double side tape. A dot here & a dot there on back of foam board to stick to wall. Press board in place against wall. It will lay closer to wall than tape. Brilliant Idea ! And the poly Urethane on top will cover ann protect the surface, so you can clean it with less fear of ripping or tearing the foil when cleaning... Brilliant Idea..thx.

• Angela Lozito Rogers
      Angela Lozito Rogers

Wow.. Awesome job.

• Heather
      Heather

Yes 100% agree with priming on the aluminium
      .
  • Phyllis Holman
    Phyllis Holman

Gorgeous! What do you mean by duct tape joints?

• Suzibear
      Suzibear

I believe she did this on foam board (perhaps laid out on her floor) and because of the length, pieced it together using duct tape on the back. After she did all her painting, she then used double sided mounting tape to stick it to the wall. It's a beautiful effect - great job! Looks super with the gray cabinets and under-mounted lighting.

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Exactly right! Thanks!

• Geni Wyatt
    Geni Wyatt

Is there a specific type of paint one would need to use?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I used spray paint but you can use anything as long as it's sealed for durability.

• Joa7335366
    Joa7335366

whats foam board

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg
      Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Foam board is a fancy name for poster board with about a 1/4" piece of styrofoam foam, not like a latex foam, it's similar or same as what florist use for making silk ( fake or dried floral, not to be confused with the green stuff which is for real flowers lol ) floral arrangements with. It's made like a sandwich if you will... So it's layered as follows: poster board, the foam is in the middle, then another poster board on the outside thus creating " foam board". It's found in most stores with the art supplies, poster board section. They even have it at dollar tree! It's used for a variety of different things but it's what we used in school for projects that were 3D or like a science display because you can pin things to it, draw, color on it and it's sturdy enough for a display. Hope this helps you. I tried to describe it as best I could!

• Joa7335366
      Joa7335366

many thanks for taking trouble to answer this

• Maryjane keefe
      Maryjane keefe

Photographers use a similar product to mount their work on top of...and....one side is very sticky and would eliminate the need to adhere it with double sided tape. (Unless you prefer to use less sticky surface.

• Heather
      Heather

Foamboard is normally 1/8" thick, not 1/4" thick.

• Hydrangea Place
    Hydrangea Place

I'm curious, how difficult is it to clean? I love this idea, and would love to do it in my kitchen, but my kitchen sees a good bit of messes.

• Kathleen Melia
    Kathleen Melia

Would this work around a tub? Would it hold up with steam and an occasional splash of water?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I'm considering doing this around the tub in the master but I am a little concerned about moisture from steam getting in behind it. The actual piece would withstand water splashes as it is sealed but I think you Would need to caulk around it making it more permanent.

• Cat
    Cat

What is foam paper?

• Carol Roddy
    Carol Roddy

I did find your instructions after I sent my original response, I think I was just so awe struck witih how wonderful it turned out that I didn't read the whole thing LOL I am SO going to try this!!! One last question. any problems with the double sided tape holding?? Thanks so much for your answer and your great idea!!! Carol

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Thanks Carol! As for the double sided mounting tape....just be sure it's directly on the foam board and not on foil that is wrapped around the edges.😉

• Jennie Lee
    Jennie Lee

I love your result! But I'm a bit confused about how you did it. What is pewter glaze? And if you put it over the copper paint, why don't we see it? Can you explain? Thank you.

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

The glaze is put over the paint and wiped off or dry brushed to settle into the crevices for dimension. You could use watered dry latex, gel stain, or any glaze to obtain this effect. You can purchase different colors of ready made glazes or buy a clear glaze to add to you your paint. It will make your paint more transparent and give you more time to move it around to achieve the desired result. Hope this helps!

• Crystal gene nicholas
    Crystal gene nicholas

Can this backsplash be achieved using plywood board instead of foam board, and then sticking on various circles/shapes before glueing on the aluminium foil? I ask, because a lot of the materials used apply to the US of A, and I have difficulty here in Italy finding their equivalent.

• Christine Robertson
    Christine Robertson

I love the color of your cabinets, what color is it?

• Laura L Franklin
    Laura L Franklin

I still don't understand how you do it, could you show step by step of how it look and what you use

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I did this a year ago and did not take pictures along the way. I just had a brainstorm and ran with it not even knowing if it would work.

• Laura L Franklin
      Laura L Franklin

So is the aluminum foil on the board and you painted on top of the aluminum foil is that why it has a crack look, it really like the look. I stay in an apartment and can not do anything permanent. So this look is perfect. Also can I use any kind of paint.

• Sug1603237
      Sug1603237

She crinkled the aluminum foil up with her hands like u would for screrunching up a piece of paper before you spread the modge podge to the foam board

• Sug1603237
      Sug1603237

Love this idea. I have been wanting to put up a back splash in our kitchen & have had ideas but I love this idea & so cheap. But looks so expensive. Will go great with my Tuscan decor in my kitchen. We are going to be selling our house with in the next 2 summers or maybe sooner. Can't wait to get started. Ty

• Billie Trout Patterson
      Billie Trout Patterson

How did you make the circles?

• Laura L Franklin
    Laura L Franklin

So is the aluminum foil on the board and you painted on top of the aluminum foil is that why it has a crack texture look. I really like the look. I stay in apartment and can't do anything permanent. Also can I use any kind of paint

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Yes ....I crinkled up the heavy duty aluminum foil then smoothed it out and mod podged to the the foam board. It has a lot of texture at that point. I painted with spray paint....I used hammered copper but you can use anything. When that was dry...I dry brushed the whole thing with a pewter glaze. That enhances the dimension because the darker color sets down in all those little crevices. I then put 2 good coats of polyurethane over the whole thing. Hope this helps.

• Daphna Oster
      Daphna Oster

Awesome idea

• Billie Trout Patterson
    Billie Trout Patterson

Sorry, I put the question in the answer, how did you make those circles?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I cut them out of 8"X11" fun foam ....found in craft departments. Color doesn't matter. You can use anything 3 dimensional to shape foil around.

• Heather
      Heather

Dollar stores sometimes have the craft foam -- I have some left from kids' craft projects. If you wanted different shapes you could use cookie cutters to trace around...lots of options there on the cookie cutters!

• Sharon
    Sharon

I hope I'm not repeating myself here...I apologize in advance if I am. Please tell me how you changed out the color of your cabinets. I'm dying to do that in my kitchen but don't know where to start. Thank you!

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Hi Sharon...let me first say.....I love to paint and gave a lot of experience. Painting cabinets is a big job but so worth it! I left my doors on for this project but removed all the door pulls. I used a medium sanding block and sanded off the gloss then down with Deglosser....I used Kurd mutter but ESP is another good one. Let that dry really well before painting. Use a good paint brush...I like a Purdy 1 1/2" angled brush.....and a good paint with a primer in it. I used Benjamin Moore Interior semi gloss.....2-3 good coats. Let dry really good between coats and put bumpers on the corners of your doors and drawers. It's been over a year now with no chips! This is what I did. Hope this helps you! Good luck!!

• Sharon
      Sharon

Wow...thank you so much! I'm excited to start this...from what I can see from your pictures, we have about the same amount of cabinetry. I also want to upgrade, on a dime of course, my laminate counter tops. I haven't found any DIY ideas on how to accomplish this inexpensively as well as intensity on labor. Do you have any tricks I can use for this project as well?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Sorry.....I don't have any experience with countertops. I'd just hop on Pinterest and look for inspiration. Good luck!

• Sharon
      Sharon

Thank you!!

• Teresa Hall
      Teresa Hall

I have a lot of cabinets and I painted mine also. I used 4" foam rollers, like paint rollers, they do a nice even coat with no brush strokes to show. I did have to use a brush on small parts and agree a good brush is essential, I like a 1 1/2" angle also. After painting I waited 24 hrs and applied a coat of polycrylic, less shine than urethane, but adds a nice layer of protection for cleaning and prevents chipping!

• Reb9426716
    Reb9426716

What kind other than tile is safe behind counter stove(drop in style) as far as heat proof

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I have used faux painted textured wallpaper. The options are endless......do a Pinterest search and use your own imagination and creativeness to make something amazing!

• Melissa De George
    Melissa De George

What color paint is that? Who makes it? I love it!

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Chelsea Gray Benjamin Moore interior semi gloss

• Debbie Chambers Richardson
      Debbie Chambers Richardson

I love this and think I will try it!

• Sharon Gehrke Wolf
      Sharon Gehrke Wolf

I did a copper backsplash on my kitchen too. I love the look of tin tiles. I got paintable wallpaper that looked like tin tile. Put it up let dry for about 3-5days then used Rustolem hammered copper spray paint. I also painted my old nasty counter tops the same color. I was going to used a very dark stain on the counters but never did. If any spots get chipped I just spray over.

• Josellelynne
      Josellelynne

Do you have a picture?

• Jodi
    Jodi

This looks wonderful, but how durable is it? If you bumped it with an appliance or something, wouldn't the foil tear? What do you clean it with?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Mine had been up for over a year now. I just wipe it off with a damp rag as it is completely sealed with polyurethane. If you hit it hard I guess it would probably leave a dent or could puncture but it's a backsplash ....not on the actual counter top. If you want something indestructible you would probably want to use tile or real metal.

• HelenA
    HelenA

Did you have to remove old tile or just put on

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

It was just painted drywall.

• Heather
      Heather

Yep mine too. That's why it's so genius. And removes quickly when time comes. Thanks for sharing this Beth!
  • Judybennett11205
    Judybennett11205

I'd like to put something like this behind my stovetop burners. I have about a 6" backsplash, then the wall goes back another inch or two and I have the copper metal squares on the wall. I just need something for the 6" . The backsplash is about 10' long x 6" high. I'm wondering if the heat of the stove burners will damage the foil. Maybe a piece of metal covered with the aluminum??

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

I wouldn't think so. Aluminum foil is used in the oven.

• VENA SILLIPHANT
      VENA SILLIPHANT

I think she is worried the foam board might melt under the foil.

• Heather
      Heather

Yes I agree with the worry about the foam board melting. Possibly some other similarly thin material for that area, such as masonite (the material that they use for pegboard -- it's about the same thickness as foamboard). But more expensive, per square foot, though. But you can buy that at a home center store and they'll cut it to width and length for free!
  • Joa10681790
    Joa10681790

What's modge podge...is it an american product? I'm in the UK....

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

See photo....can purchase on amazon

• Debbie
      Debbie

If you cannot find Mod Podge, I have also used white glue like Elmer's. Just add tiny amounts of water to thin just enough to smoothly "paint" on.

• Ron
      Ron

In The UK it would be PVA Glue Ron Aberdeen UK

• P auline miller
    P auline miller

could this be used around a shower in the bath or would the moisture ruin the foamboard?

• Linda Wilson-Smith
    Linda Wilson-Smith

Wouldn't the foil tear very easily? Instead of 2 sided tape, I think liquid nails would hold longer and better. A really clever idea tho.

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

Great tip. I love liquid nails

• Barbara
      Barbara

liquid nails is too permanent and would require alot of elbow grease to renove it!

• Michelle Davidson
    Michelle Davidson

what kind of paint did you use & what brand was it? Really Love this

• June Gay Jackson
    June Gay Jackson

If you used Chelsea Grey paint, why does it look like copper?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

cabinets are Chelsea gray. Backsplash is hammered copper spray paint with pewter glaze.
  • Donna
    Donna

Do you think this would work on a ceiling? I want the look of tin tiles on my kitchen ceiling, but my budget won't allow.
  • Lynda Clodfelder
    Lynda Clodfelder

How well does it wear when cleaned?
  • Diane Schule
    Diane Schule

What is the color on the walls? This is super clever! Very artistic.
  • Tin24647538
    Tin24647538

first of all, love it! Where do you get the rings and how do put them up? Best I have seen. Thanx
    • Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Hi! I cut them out of fun foam and glued them to the foam board. You can use anything with dimension to press the aluminum foil over.
  • Linda Rucker
    Linda Rucker

what is the color of the cabients ????
  • Stephanie Miller
    Stephanie Miller

Would you please make a video?!?! Please! This is just what i need!

• Stephanie Miller
    Stephanie Miller

• Kat33321490
    Kat33321490

Which side do you glue to the foam board?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

If you’re painting the foil...it doesn’t matter.😊

• Judy
      Judy

Really would like a video can't picture how to do this but would love to

• Carol Roddy
    Carol Roddy

Hi Beth...I saw this awhile ago and had to search to find it again as I'm thinking of doing this in my own kitchen. Can you tell me if it's held up well for you? Anything you would do differently? Thanks for your wonderful inspiration :0)

Carol

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

HI Carol! I still have it up and still love it! The only thing I don’t do different is not wrap as much foil to the back. It sticks just fine when double sided tape is stuck directly to foam board.

• Per33817111
    Per33817111

How do u get the designs to pop?

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

The circles are cut out of fun foam and glued to foam board. Foil is pressed /glued tightly around the shapes. The pewter glaze helps designs pop out.

• Mary Mccallum
    Mary Mccallum

How long did it take you

• Marlissa Gibbs
    Marlissa Gibbs

Am I right thinking you leave the foam board behind the paper and foil? Also why use the paper? Why not just the foil? I'm asking so many questions because I love it and I'm definitely going to do it!

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

yes. I glued the foil to the foam board actually making the whole project in my garage and putting up after completed. You could obviously do something similar sticking foil directly to your wall then faux painting.

• Phyllis J Holman
    Phyllis J Holman

Can you show pictures of all the steps you used. This is amazing and I want to do it in my kitchen.

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Sorry...I did this several years ago and didn’t take any pics. I was just experimenting and it turned out awesome! It’s still up and I still love it!

You can do it too!

• Phyllis J Holman
    Phyllis J Holman

Thank you. I'm going to experiment to try and get the right look. What did you use to make the circle

• ShelbyNeen
    ShelbyNeen

I'm lost with the aluminum foil.

" crinkle aluminum foil and smooth out (about a foot longer than board), spread modge podge over everything a section at a time and stick aluminum foil down pressing around shapes, rolling pin over surface to smooth, paint, spread glaze "

-

are you crinkling foil AND adding the crinkled foil over the modge podge or are you putting different foil over modge podge? I can't work this out in my head?

• Beth
      Beth

Just 1 piece of foil. I crinkle it up to give it texture. So crinkle it up then smooth it out to glue down leaving as much crinkle as you desire. There’s no right or wrong way. Just use your imagination and fun!

• Beth
      Beth

Apply mode podge to foam board .....aluminum foil to foam board then paint. So just 1 layer of aluminum foil. Just be sure there’s enough to fold around edges.

• ShelbyNeen
      ShelbyNeen

Thanks Beth - I couldn't see the trees for the forest.

• Steph
    Steph

Where do you find different colors of foil? Or can you spray paint with any color? How long did it take to put it all together ?

• Beth
      Beth

I used hammered copper spray paint then glazed/ antiqued with pewter. I did this project in about 6 hours.

If you need to talk...you can message me on FB...Beth Perret. I can give you my phone number there.

• Beth
      Beth

I used just the silver colored aluminum foil....paint any color. I did this project in an evening.

• Ida9464
      Ida9464

Use double sided mounting tape to stick to wall you said. Will this mar the wall upon removal for rental places? Anyone? Plz and ty

• Glenda
    Glenda

I guess this is slightly off-topic, but what kind of under cabinet lighting do you have? Is it hardwired?

• Beth
      Beth

Hardwired....think I got them at Lowe’s

• Ida9464
      Ida9464

I’d like to know, too. It was so dark on the before and then the under cabinet lighting was such a great improvement along with her other great ideas!

• Dianne
    Dianne

The backsplash is beautiful, but I really love the color of your cabinets. What is the name of the color and the paint brand?

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

About how many square feet did you do and what was the cost? It's beautiful and kewl - I'd love to do an entire wall in my bathroom like this! 😎

• Beth
      Beth

I’m on vacay so I can’t measure but it’s just the area below cabs about 20’ or so. About $20-$30. 3 years and I still love it!

• Robyn Garner
      Robyn Garner

Thanks Beth. I really like your creativity on this!

• Kati Hanson
      Kati Hanson

Thought of trying this but to nervous as to how it would turn out😜. Now with your blog I am confident to tackle this!💝 it!

• Tammie
      Tammie

You are bold, and it looks so nice! Great job!

• Tammie
      Tammie

I did have a question----what is foam paper? Is it those sheets of thin, thin foam, various colors, that, for example, are cut into various shape stickers, or can make a sun visor from?

• Sharon Bardonner
    Sharon Bardonner

How did you cut the foam paper shapes so they’re so even?

• Mary Glass
    Mary Glass

what was your cost for your big kitchen, I have a small one.

• Beth Perret
      Beth Perret

Less than $50!

• Mary Glass
      Mary Glass

Awsome, thank you. Its just what I was looking for. We live in the country and on a very tight budget, so this is perfect.

Thanks for sharing

• Susie Centeno-Cannon
    Susie Centeno-Cannon

Does the Modge Podge keep it from tearing when wiping it clean?

• Sam
    Sam

How do you clean the copper

• Cindy
    Cindy

How does it hold up around a stove ?

• Frank
    Frank

How did you get the copper color

• Regina White Lovvorn
    Regina White Lovvorn

This is wonderful. Great job. Can you share the brand and color of your cabinet paint.

• Beth Perret
    Beth Perret

Benjamin Moore Chelsea gray

• Sandra
      Sandra

How do you clean the back splash? It’s really beautiful, but I am assuming it can be wiped down with a damp cloth?