Marilyn Monroe Staircase

If your sick of looking at your boring stairs, change them with something different
The wallpaper cost me £20 and I already had the paint, the glitter and nail art cost me £2 from Poundland.
It is a very good talking point and I have had lots of wonderful compliments.
My boring staircase
My boring staircase
After I ripped up the carpet this is what my boring staircase looked like
These should be implements of torture!
These should be implements of torture!
There were loads of these carpet grippers, one on each riser and one on each step
I love my new stairs
I love my new stairs
I bought some Marilyn Monroe wallpaper and made the paste really thick, you need to measure every step and cut out before pasting.
Tip I used grey eggshell paint and made sure that I painted every other step then I painted the top, bottom and sides of risers, this helps you to hide small mistakes if your wall are old or you don't get your cut right.
Once the stairs are dry, make sure you put notes on each step that you can walk on while you wait for rest of the stairs to dry. I left a day for the first lots of steps to dry before painting the other.
Once all dry start papering using lots of paste.
Added bling
Added bling
I wanted to put my own stamp on this just in case somebody copied my idea, so I bought some nail art jewellery and I had some flat back diamond beads and I decorated Marilyn's dresses
Nice earring
Nice earring
I gave Marilyn an earring and a diamond necklace
Marilyn looks happy lol
Marilyn looks happy lol
I added glitter to this dress to make it more glamorous.
When all the wallpaper was dry I gave it 4 coats of paste but waited for each coat of paste to dry before adding more paste.
My steps are not slippy, I shabbily painted the wooden sides of the stairs and the banister and balusters, it has come out much better than I thought it would as I have never done anything like this before
I hope you have enjoyed this small presentation.

• Sharon Novotni

If you have family....photos of them would be great instead of Marilyn :)

• Mcgypsy9

Forshawtink...WOW.. I was blown away when I saw what you did! I too love the unusual and unique and think outside the box on everything I do. For someone who has never done something like this, you did an amazing job and it looks stunning!! I personally wouldn't use family photos unless I planned on living in my home forever. You chose an icon, someone who will probably never be forgotten and thats unique in itself. I don't know what you do for a living but you might consider interior design! Thank you so much for sharing!