Dining Room Table Made of Salvage Pallet

Advanced

This table was made of salvage pallets and timber with a clear glass top and solid steel legs for an industrial look. The process to make this table wasn’t quite easy as I was expecting before we started. It took the work of three people, three days and a lot of hard work.
Day 1: First we had to dismantle three pallets, which means knocking down with a hammer and pry bar, but being careful not to damage the wood, which was really difficulty to do it, as the nails were deep inside the wood and not quite easy to come out. This job was done by my father, which I am very grateful because I wouldn’t be able to do it myself, but if you have a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade that cut through nails, you can make your job easier, preserve the entire pallet and plus have some extra character with the nails fragments that are left in the wood.
Day 2: We planed the layout of the table and put the timbers together to make a table of 160cm x 80cm, as pallets are usually 1.05 x 1.05m or euro pallets 1.20 x 0.80m, so we used euro pallets that have the same width of the table, we only had to work out the length of the table using a longer timber to cross all the way. When we finally got the layout we started to nail down, working out with measurements so each wood strips would be quite the same distance from each other, making the visual symmetrical and more pleasing to the eye. Then we waxed with medium oak liquid wax, to give a deeper tone but not too dark. Two coats were needed to get the exactly tone we wanted. Then we let it dry overnight.
Day 3: Finally we attached the steel hairpin legs and put the glass top, which were both made to order, so if you change your mind or you are going to have to live with it, or pay again for a different one. So, before you make up your mind, really think carefully what you want and how you want it. Even that the table is made of salvage pallets, which you can get it free, there is a lot of materials to purchase that is not cheap, in this case steel legs and glass top are quite expensive, but the end result is worth it.
To create the shelf under the top you have to add extra slats of wood and another long piece of wood at both longer sides of the table to hold everything in place.
The storage area is big enough to hold bottle of wine, plates, cutlery, table linens, cookery books, etc...
The results are amazing, you not only get a beautiful, industrial looking, naturally distressed wood table, that will make an amazing focal point in your dining room or kitchen, but also a piece of storage. Who doesn’t need storage these days in any home? It’s beautiful, one of kind and double duty.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Monica - The Pallet House

To see more: https://bellaepoca.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/pallet-dining-table/

• Sandra K Salisbury

Did you sand the boards before you waxed it, or did I miss that part? I have a story for you. Over 20 years ago my husband and I picked up some pallets thinking we could make a frame to hold firewood outside. To our surprise the "nails" had long threads on them!! And no, they DID NOT want to be pulled out! We didn't have any tutorials as pallet projects were not all the rage back then. We had a saber saw but we didn't think it would be strong enough to cut nails. SO, I took our 2 pound lead mallet and broke the boards as close to the ends as I could. Well, after all was said and done, we had a pile of "not very useful" boards! However, I got the best workout ever! I lost some weight, strengthened my arms and legs and even flattened my stomach a little! But, um, I do admit we didn't have the same wood frame we had originally designed!!!

• Monica - The Pallet House

Hi Sandra, sorry that I've missed the sanding step on the tutorial, but we did sand it before waxed it. I have to be honest, it wasn't easy to dismantle the pallet, it was a hell of work, but when you have the right tool, the job can be a lot easier.