Update an Old Glass Container Using Spray Paint and Rubber Bands

Everything looks better in gold, dont you think? I find that so many pieces can be brought back to life using simply some gold spray paint. These glass containers were old and the gold was scratched off, so I decided to update them with a fresh layer of gold spray paint. I didn't want them to all be plain gold, so used some rubber bands to achieve this look.
get a few rubber bands.
Put them nice and straight around the glass container, they can overlap or be straight lines, totally up to you.
then spray paint away in a well ventilated area
Once the spraypaint is dry, carefully remove the rubber bands. You should be left with nice and crisp lines.

From Evija with Love

• Summer

What’s the easiest way to get the rubber bands off so not to mess up your paint?

• From Evija with Love

If you let it dry completely you will not mess up the dry paint.. make sure you leave it to dry overnight and spray two thin coats rather than one thick coat which may drip

• Jenny

I have tried this several times but when I try to take the rubber bands off, some of the paint comes off with the rubber bands so the lines aren’t clearly defined. What am I doing wrong?

• Melody

Do you think, using scissors and cutting the rubber bands would be easier then pulling them off?

• Terri Tittl

Do you spray the I side of the case?

• Bam14043151

I would put newspaper inside while painting and also a small piece of paper over top securing it with my 1st rubber band around top edge (where your mouth goes) that way the usage of a drinking glass will still be safe (from paint chemicals) nice idea I like repurposing things
  • Sharon Gregoire-Barnes

Thanks for the idea, works wonders! Tried it on this large old wine glass I picked up at a thrift store for 50¢