Becky (J) P
Becky (J) P
  • Highland, IL
Asked on Jan 29, 2013

potatoes in the garden

LindaBonnie LeBlancTudyrunningwater
+25

Has anyone ever tried planting potatoes in straw or bags of potting soil? I have never tried planting them, and I don't really have room in the veg garden unless I try something space saving. I am more of a tomato, green bean, onion planter, but this year I want to try some new stuff.
potatoes in the garden, gardening
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpSZ2UmZZw Here is a way to add potatoes without too much space. I created this youtube about a year ago.

• Becky (J) P

thanks @360 Sod (Donna Dixson) that was interesting!

• Amelia

Thank you for the information, I purchased a bag for growing potatoes and will give this a try.

, Amelia in Ojai CA
  • Shannon O- Junkflirt

I too am wanting to try this- this year

• Dick Clark IV

I had great luck stacking 4-5 old tires. As I filled them with soil I added the seed potatoes. At the end of the growing season I would pull one tire over at a time and harvest my crop. I live on the coast in very northern California with max summer temps of 65-75 sand they grew great!

• 3po3

@Dick Clark IV did you do anything to the tires to keep the chemicals in the rubber out of your food?

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

@ , I posted that very same question to an organic farms group yesterday So far no answers, will let you know if anyone provides any good data. They only thing so far was a post about using an old baby pool, the hard plastic kind, for growing vegetables. They apparently poked holes in the bottom of the pool for drainage.

Great video, 4S.

• Becky (J) P

ya, I was wondering the same thing about the tires. We have plenty stacked around here due to my son and his car obsession. (I personally don't think that sounds safe....tires stink!)

• Judy

@ Tried the tire thing once. They grew fine & tasted fine but getting them out of the tires was a real stinker.

• Mel Short

http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/ Grow 100 lbs. Of Potatoes In 4 Square Feet: {How To}

• Becky (J) P

thanks @Mel Short, pallets sound good, too. I could use my compost to start out the first layer.

• 3po3

@360 Sod (Donna Dixson) thank you. keep us posted on what you find out.

• Dick Clark IV

No. I guess if you were worried about that you could line it with a thick plastic tarp.

• 3po3

Good point. Thanks for the reply, @Dick Clark IV

• Jayme

I experimented with growing potatoes in different containers last year. I had most of my potatoes planted in 20 gal black plastic buckets last year and I had a couple plants planted in a "growing" bag (woven, breathable fiber bag). When the season was done and it was time to harvest we found out some interesting things. The potatoes grown in the buckets we very mis-shaped and some started to rot. The potatoes grown in the bag were very nice...properly colored and shaped. The soil in the buckets was very warm and quite wet. The soil in the bag was well drained and much cooler to the touch. The other thing that we were told and also experienced...no potatoe bugs when grown above ground (as in a container).

• Becky (J) P

good to know! can't wait for spring.

• Ron Anderson

I bought me one of these bags last summer, but have not tried it yet, as I too wanted to try something new, and planted me about 10 or so potatoes in my hard. I ordered the bag later in the summer, but won't be using it until this summer. From reading up on it, it seems that it should, and would work nicely. I'll see. http://www.amazon.com/Bosmere-P575-Potato-Deck-Patio-Planter/dp/B0029SWSZG

• Christine Z

I planted 2 different types of fingerling potatoes last year in my garden, and I was harvesting until October! They were sooo good, and took no time at all to cook. The planting area for these fingerlings was about 4' x 8' so they really didn't take up that much space in my 10' x 15' plot. Great production per plant!

• Tudyrunningwater

can I grow sweet potatoes in containers?

• Tudyrunningwater

Thanks Douglas Hunt, your rock .... Tudy

• Bonnie LeBlanc

Don't know if you like green onions, but you'll never have to buy them again. I bought a bunch from the grocery, cut about an inch off the top. Cover the bottom roots with water and within a few days you'll have long roots. THen, plant in your garden. As they grow, they throw off an entire new plant. I planted some last year and had enough to supply the neightborhood so they could have their own plants and I still have my own plants left, too.

• Becky (J) P

@Bonnie LeBlanc I love green onions. My husband swears by planting them sideways.....they have a longer white area than if you plant them correctly. lol

• Linda

I asked an expert about planting in a bag of soil. They said it would be to wet. My friend uses an old garbage can. Put soil in, put potato starts on soil and cover with 3" of soil. When see growth put 3" soil on, and one more of this. After body browns out dump on tarp and spray with water. The balance of unused can acts as a grow house with the warmth. I'm trying it this year in a very large pot and drilled holes in sides and bottom.