DIY Entryway Bench

After I finished building an entertainment center for my home, I had a lot scrap wood left over. I decided to use some of the leftover wood to make a bench for our entryway.
I wanted something functional where we could put bags, shoes, etc. The bench design is so simple, and it could easily be adapted to add more boxes or made with different material if using 2x12s are not a good option for you. For example, the bench could be made with 1x12s or with left over plywood (just add a face frame made with 1x2s).
The bench was made with 2x12s and joined mainly with pocket hole screws. The only place I didn't use pocket holes was the bottom of the bench where I used countersink screws to attached the bottom of the bench to the middle supports.
I used pocket hole plugs to cover the pocket holes and I used red mahogany stain to finish the bench.
If anyone is interested in seeing the entertainment center where the scrap wood for this project came from, it is on Hometalk http://www.hometalk.com/8922026/diy-entertainment-center and my blog http://www.betterwhenbuilt.com/entertainment-center-bookcase/

Erik Bennett

• Mary Daniels

I have been looking for an entryway bench. I never thought about making one. I am definitely going to do this. Thanks

• Debra Wood

Love this bench. I am going to build this. Thanks