DIY Project Turned Cool Garden Art

This DIY yard art originally started as a plan to make a faux stained glass window for above our porch swing. Apparently, that wasn't meant to be! Instead, we now have some cool garden art that makes me smile! Take a look at how it all came about-
I started by purchasing translucent pony beads - the kind you can see through.
I used a large cookie sheet to make our whimsical yard art and LOTS of pony beads, both colorful and clear.
I started making a pattern on the fly, adding flowers and some fern-like with a clear background. No need to grease the sheet first, but one thing you do need is patience moving all the small the beads around!
I finished the background with orange beads after running out of first clear and yellow beads. You may want to plan your pattern better than I did! For me, this was simply an off-the-cuff fun project with little to no planning involved - which was fun!
We melted the pony beads in a pre-heated grill (about 450 degrees) to avoid plastic fumes in the house. With the lid down, we 'cooked' them for 15 minutes before checking - which is when we learned that the grill does not heat evenly. Shoot! Some of the beads were melted and some were still whole.
After cooking for another few minutes, we had to take it off as some of the beads were burning. Was this a DIY fail?
At first I thought so. But then I decided to place it around the garden and I could see that it's just plain fun! In fact, it looks kind of magical to me.
I like that there is no right or wrong way to display this - and my hope is that it will inspire all who see it to try and DIY whatever they're thinking of - who knows how it will turn out?
There are lots more pictures (including how cool this looks around the garden) and information at the website linked below:

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Memorial Day Crafts
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Front Porch Ideas

• Cheryl Williams

What temperature do you set your oven on to finish eating the beads and for how long.? Thank you in advance. Cheryl
    • Front Porch Ideas

Hi Cheryl,
      I thought I had already answered your question on my phone but I am not seeing it here. Sad! Anyhow since we did this project a while back I don't recall the oven temp the package of beads recommend, but I would just follow what the pkg says. If I recall correctly, it might be 450, but please check with the pkg. We did ours outside so that was a bit different from the oven. Thank you so much for reading about this fun project. It really was fun arranging those beads and we liked the result too. Thanks!!
  • Cheryl Williams

I meant to type melting beads instead of eating. SORRY!
    • Front Porch Ideas

Hi Cheryl,
      Its best to follow the instructions on the bead package. Since we did this project a while back and used our grill instead of the oven, I am not sure of the oven temperature you would use. My guess is 450 but not 100% sure. Thank you so much for writing.

Mary
  • Donna Davis

does it come out of the pan easy?
    • Front Porch Ideas

Yes, when we did this project it came out of the pan very easy. We were surprised, Donna.

• S Clarissa Cartwright

I'll definitely trying this...in the oven...with the vent on and the back door open!
  • Linda Flanigan

Ok used a round pizza tray in the grill just kept rotating..worked fine...you can also put the beads in metal cookie cutters and melt