Recycled Soda Can Flowers Wall Art

$10.00

While looking through a popular home decor catalog, I came across dimensional wall art, made mostly of metal, and I knew I could re-create the look! What a great upcycled craft to make using soda cans! For complete instructions visit: http://plumperfectandme.blogspot.com/2015/06/upcycled-soda-can-flowers-wall-art.html
Gather the following supplies of clean soda cans, craft scissors, x-acto knife, alcohol inks, q-tips, wire hangers, cardboard, glue, acrylic paints, foam brushes and canvas. Using an x-acto knife, make a slice big enough for a scissor blade and with craft scissors, cut the top and bottom off. Next, cut through the length of the can to open and finish the sides by cutting off any slivers or jagged edges. Be very careful with the sharp edges of the cut cans.
Roll the cut aluminum in the opposite direction to help remove the curl of the can. Then draw a flower shape and cut out or just cut out flowers free-hand.
Repeat steps for cutting cans and flowers. You will need at least 10 flowers. Place cut out flowers on soft surface and press center to shape and manipulate to give dimension. Edges can also be rolled using a pencil or pen.
Cut a piece of cardboard the shape of a vase. Lay cut out flowers and cardboard in position to determine placement layout.
Cut off straight metal pieces from wire hangers for the stems, shape into curves and place under flowers on canvas.
Begin coloring aluminum flowers with the alcohol inks. Alcohol inks are great for adding color to non-porous surfaces such as aluminum. I used three colors to achieve so many different floral shades and hues just by dripping a drop or two onto the surface, swirling the ink around and using a q-tip to spread.
Paint the canvas background and cardboard vase similar to the GrandinRoad artwork. Improvise like I did if you know nothing about painting. Glue sides of vase using tacky glue and apply to canvas, lifting the cardboard so it doesn't lie flat and is open on top to allow for the wire stems. Add the wire stems by hot gluing ends and inserting into vase. Of course I had to add some purple and switch up the design a bit!
Next, add hot glue to underside of flowers and place on stems. Then, stand back and admire your creation!
And best of all, this costs just a few dollars to create - as opposed to a very high price tag for the original! Don't you just love a knockoff?

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Lori Smith
    Lori Smith

Doesn't the back of the flowers show once it's mounted and hung?

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me
      Gail@Purple Hues and Me

No, I have it hanging in my hallway and you don't see the back of any of the flowers. I did press my head against the wall looking at the back and then, and only then can you see a little bit of the plain metal showing - but who does that? You can always do the backs, too, if you want.

• Lillianna Chudolij
    Lillianna Chudolij

Love This! Can this same process be used if I want to create an outdoor version? Or do I need some other paint? Or perhaps a sealant? Thank you!

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me
      Gail@Purple Hues and Me

That's a great idea, Lillianna, but you would have to alter the process a bit. You would have to seal the alcohol ink with an outdoor UV clear varnish because the ink will fade and is affected by moisture, And of course, you can't use cardboard or even hot glue for the "vase." Perhaps you can make the vase out of aluminum cans, too and use a permanent glue made for outdoor use. I hope this helps! Thanks!

• Jjqq
    Jjqq

Great idea! I have several large canvases that could be perfect for this. How did you get the cardboard to stay curved out from the canvas for the vase? It looks like it is curved, anyway - - or just and illusion?

• Jjqq
    Jjqq

Never mind - answered my own question about the vase by actually going back and reading instructions again! Thanks for great idea!!

• Kat
    Kat

Your piece of art turned out beautiful. I love it and will definitely give it a try.

My only question is the completed cardboard vase appears to have a pattern like it's embossed.

How did you get the case to look like this? Thank you so much.

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me
      Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Thanks, Kat! The design is just painted on the cardboard - nothing special! I didn't even realized it looked embossed until you mentioned it!