Closet Doors in Husband's Den

When our daughter moved out I decided to create a den for my husband. He loved the nautical theme so I did the room for him in blues. I did one wall in a beautiful sea gray blue and did a wash with a lighter blue over the white walls. I then put up shelves with a rope twist to hold his ships etc. The last item I added was to paint the plain white closet doors. This is the result.
painted closet doors in husband s den, closet, doors, painting
I got some ideas on the type of light houses I wanted for the doors by google images of lighthouses.
Using acrylic paint I free hand painted different lighthouses on each panel. I then painted in the sea grass around the base. The top panels a did a light brush with the same light blue I used for a wash on the walls to give it a cloud effect and painted in a few birds. The bottom panel I just painted sea grass. I then framed the panels in the light blue paint and when dry sprayed it all with clear acrylic.
Any acrylic paint will do and can be found in craft stores or places like Walmart. The lighthouse is pretty basic and can be any style or color trim you like. Also basically straight lines. For the sea grass I used a sponge to dab on the lighter color and then painted the longer strokes over to create the grass effect going from bottom to top with a single stroke on the bottom panel. Around the lighthouse I used much smaller strokes.
One wall done in the grayish sea blue with white shelves.
Other wall with the blue wash. This is done by using a damp sponge and a little bit of paint and whipping it over the wall is small strokes.
It also gets kind of cold in that room during the winter so I put in a small electric fire place using the corner bookshelf. On the middle shelf I put in the self stick brick tiles found at the home improvement and cut them to size. I cut a small hold in the back to allow for the cord to pass through and set the stove in. Since it is electric it won't get hot enough to cause any damage to the shelf.