DIY Tiled End Table

With the summer season upon us, there is always a need for more outdoor entertaining spaces. Whether it be a place to put drinks, plates, or other usual party goodies. I decided to make this end table to fix my problem with not having enough space. I wanted something with character, and I have a lot of tile that has been purchased over the years. So it was a win, win situation.
First, I assembled the base of the table. It is just a couple of 2x2 boards held together with pocket hole screws. I cut my boards to length and attached according to my plan. There is a full downloadable plan on my blog sawdusttosequins.com.
I sanded and stained the base before I added the top. This gave me more room to work on the base without the top getting in the way.
Once the stain was applied, I added the top. The top is a piece of 3/4" plywood which is what I applied my tile to. It's attached with pocket hole screws.
Then, I tiled the top. I started out with applying the mortar to the plywood with a trowel, laid the tiles down, and waited for the mortar to dry. I came up with this design for something different and unique. You can have fun with this part, and put your own personality into the project!!
Once the mortar was dry, I applied the grout to the tile and wiped off the excess with a damp sponge. After the grout dried I sealed the table top with ceramic tile sealer.
I applied some stain to the edges of the plywood to finish off the look of the table top. That was it, I now have some extra outdoor table area ready for fun summer entertaining. I hope you enjoyed this project. The full tutorial including a PDF build plan is available on my blog.
Crissie @ The Crafted Maker

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question
  • DJ DJ on Sep 13, 2018

How do you finish the edge? You said stain it, but that would leave raw edges of tile and plywood that would be tacky.

Comments

2 of 44 comments
  • Deb Deb on May 30, 2021

Very nicely done. Beautiful table

• Doreen Kennedy Doreen Kennedy on May 31, 2021

Great looking table and you did a wonderful job on your grout lines.

Next