DIY Tiled End Table

With the summer season upon us, there is always a need for more outdoor entertaining spaces. Whether it be a place to put drinks, plates, or other usual party goodies. I decided to make this end table to fix my problem with not having enough space. I wanted something with character, and I have a lot of tile that has been purchased over the years. So it was a win, win situation.
First, I assembled the base of the table. It is just a couple of 2x2 boards held together with pocket hole screws. I cut my boards to length and attached according to my plan. There is a full downloadable plan on my blog sawdusttosequins.com.
I sanded and stained the base before I added the top. This gave me more room to work on the base without the top getting in the way.
Once the stain was applied, I added the top. The top is a piece of 3/4" plywood which is what I applied my tile to. It's attached with pocket hole screws.
Then, I tiled the top. I started out with applying the mortar to the plywood with a trowel, laid the tiles down, and waited for the mortar to dry. I came up with this design for something different and unique. You can have fun with this part, and put your own personality into the project!!
Once the mortar was dry, I applied the grout to the tile and wiped off the excess with a damp sponge. After the grout dried I sealed the table top with ceramic tile sealer.
I applied some stain to the edges of the plywood to finish off the look of the table top. That was it, I now have some extra outdoor table area ready for fun summer entertaining. I hope you enjoyed this project. The full tutorial including a PDF build plan is available on my blog.

Crissie @ The Crafted Maker

• DJ

How do you finish the edge? You said stain it, but that would leave raw edges of tile and plywood that would be tacky.

• Michael

I noticed that this is 3 yrs old. But I didn't see an answer to your question. If you build it and tile it the way she says, then attach a corner bead to the edge. This can be found at HD or Lowe's. Or you can build a frame around the board that the tiles will sit in.

That's what I do when building my tables. Either way, it'll cover up the raw edges.

• Crissie @ The Crafted Maker

It’s all about taste. Leaving the plywood edges exposed can look good if you finish it right. Like Mat said, you can add trim or apply a layer of wood filler and sand down. Raw plywood is actually coming into fashion now.

• Crissie @ The Crafted Maker

That's awesome!! Have fun!

• Marge

Nice work! I'm not making table, but have a children's toy box that I chalk painted and use as coffee table (and storage within box). Your idea of setting tiles on top is cool. Using mixed sized tiles would work fine. Thanks for idea! Now, on to implement (hope half as great as yours).