Chalk Paint Grandma's Antique Dining Table and Chairs

My grandma's antique dining table and chair set had sat in my basement for about twenty years waiting for an update. The tabletop had been striped of the stain, but I had lost interest in finishing the table because the turned legs were going to be so much work. With the popularity of painted furniture now, I decided to finally pull it out of the basement and paint the base and chairs. Now the table can finally be used again!
It is a beautiful old set that has a lot of charming details. It had been stained from it's original finish long before I received it, so I didn't feel bad about painting over what was there. In this case, I believe it is better to change the antique and make it useable rather than leave it just sitting neglected.
Unfortunately, I don't have a before picture of the table. But everything was stained a very dark color, almost black in places. And the chairs were upholstered in a cream textured plastic. Not my style!
Everything but the tabletop was painted in a cream colored chalk paint and then distressed to reveal the dark stained wood underneath.
One of my favorite parts of this table is the beautiful turned legs. The distressing really brings out the details.
At the bottom of each leg is a wood wheel. I love things like this that we don't see today. That is what makes antiques and vintage finds so special.
The original plan was to stain the wood top after it was sanded down and smooth. But the wood looked amazing as it was so it got ten coats of a clear polyurethane sealer instead. Isn't that natural wood perfect?
What do you think of the finished table and chairs? Is it something you'd like to see in your home? You can find even more pictures and information about the table in my blog post!

Jamie

• Sonia Probst

Have you ever not waxed a piece of furniture? And it so, how did it stand up to cleaning, etc. ? I just finished painting a bathroom cabinet in Old White and I lightly sanded it after painting. The finish feels luxurious just the way it is. Must I wax?
  • Joyce Jones Barnard

How did you do the chair bottoms?

• Nancy

Thinking you should also chalk paint your china cabinet!!

• Ann1236852

I have the EXACT same table! I’m going to take your advice and just sand and clear coat the top. Thanks!