DIY Chalkboard Mail Sorter

$20

Bills, notices, invitations, announcements, offers, deals, news, magazines….we receive so many important things through the mail every day and, if you are like me, you toss them on the counter in a disheveled pile for a few days before getting up the gumption to sort through them and attend to the matters that needed attention. This wasn’t working for me for several reasons: I was losing things and the messy pile looked terrible. The solution I came up with was homemade, of course: a DIY Chalkboard mail sorter.
The materials you need are:
A 1x10x8’ board
1 Sawtooth Picture Hanger*
Stain
Ok, let’s start measuring and making cuts. Begin with a 36” cut for the backboard of the sorter.
Next cut out the wedge pieces for the slots. The picture below is a guide for a pattern that will prevent waste. They will be 6 ½” tall with a 22 ½ degree angle off square.
Attach those to the backboard every 4 ½” using wood glue and the brad nailer. Make sure you position the angle of the wedges so that the top is parallel with the ground. I messed up on the bottom slot for mine (but that’s what makes it charming, right?).
Now measure and cut three 7” boards from whats left of your 1×10. These will be the faces of your mail slots. Attach those with wood glue and brad nails. Looking pretty good so far!
Sand and stain the whole thing and attach the sawtooth hanger. To learn how to paint the chalkboard paint on, check out the original blog post about this project here:
http://charmingimperfections.com/2015/07/diy-chalkboard-mail-sorter.html
I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial on how to make a Chalkboard Mail Sorter. It's greatly helped me to organize our mail, and I'm sure it will for you as well!

25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Rebekah @ Charming Imperfections

1 comment