IKEA Billy Bookcase Hack

I was challenged by HomeRight to get creative and come up with an idea for hacking a bookcase. I didn't just want to dress it up and leave it as a bookcase. So I put it together, walked around it a time or too and came up with this bar table idea! Using my Finish Max sprayer and left over lumber, we have the perfect addition to our furniture family! The IKEA Billy Bookcase - NO MORE :)
ikea billy bookcase hack to outdoor bar table, how to, outdoor living, painted furniture, pallet, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
The IKEA Billy Bookcase is the perfect height to create a bar height table! I love recreating an item!
By adding left over lumber from previous projects, we have plenty of previous projects ;) We measure each are that we wanted to cover, predrilled and screwed each board in to place. No miter cuts involved. I was looking for an industrial look, not miter perfect!
Before just another bookcase!
And then came the fun part. Painting it! For the sides and trim pieces, I spray painted a dark great with my HomeRight finish max sprayer. For the top and 2x4 trim pieces, I use Modern Masters, and created a metal like finish.
The metal like finish.
By just adding trim and a new top, I transformed the IKEA Billy Bookcase in to a bar top table with storage. Think outside the bookcase!
Stop by the blog for more fun!
Refreshrestyle D

• April K. McNair

I wonder would this be ok as a bar or winery for the inside of the house?

• Tobi Wyszomirski

How did you get that effect with your sprayer? I understand using a sprayer, but when I use a sprayer, the paint comes out evenly and doesn't leave the neat pattern you got. Was the paint a bunch of different colors not well mixed?

• Rachel

The colour of this is gorgeous, how did you get that 2-tone look?