IKEA Billy Bookcase Hack

I was challenged by HomeRight to get creative and come up with an idea for hacking a bookcase. I didn't just want to dress it up and leave it as a bookcase. So I put it together, walked around it a time or too and came up with this bar table idea! Using my Finish Max sprayer and left over lumber, we have the perfect addition to our furniture family! The IKEA Billy Bookcase - NO MORE :)
The IKEA Billy Bookcase is the perfect height to create a bar height table! I love recreating an item!
By adding left over lumber from previous projects, we have plenty of previous projects ;) We measure each are that we wanted to cover, predrilled and screwed each board in to place. No miter cuts involved. I was looking for an industrial look, not miter perfect!
Before just another bookcase!
And then came the fun part. Painting it! For the sides and trim pieces, I spray painted a dark great with my HomeRight finish max sprayer. For the top and 2x4 trim pieces, I use Modern Masters, and created a metal like finish.
The metal like finish.
By just adding trim and a new top, I transformed the IKEA Billy Bookcase in to a bar top table with storage. Think outside the bookcase!
Stop by the blog for more fun!

Refreshrestyle D

• Rachel

The colour of this is gorgeous, how did you get that 2-tone look?

• Paula P

The bar turned out very well. How did you get the finish? Your instructions say you used your sprayer for the great (grey?) finish, and that you used Modern Masters and created a metal like finish. What colors did you use? Did you use a brush or rag? More detail would be appreciated.

• Linda Schutzer

great project!!! Can u offer advise as to how to do this with a dresser? Remove drawers and back panned and then ?