Katie Nathey
Katie Nathey
  • Alpharetta, GA

Upcycled Scarf Planter

After years of sitting neglected in the closet, I was excited to re-imagine a vibrant scarf into something new.
I’ve seen fabric covered planters floating around the internet for quite some time now and have always wanted to make my own, so alas I did!
You can view the full post and tutorial over on my blog, along with additional scarf inspired projects.
upcycled scarf to decoupaged planter, container gardening, crafts, decoupage, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling
Upcycled Scarf Planter
Here is the before photo
I used a 6″ planter I had purchased at Walmart last year for about $1, which had previously been painted and slightly distressed.
Cut your scarf fabric into a smaller rectangle to make it easier to work with, then iron and press the fabric {or you can iron and then cut}.
I used some Mod Podge I had on hand but you can also use the outdoor version if you want your pot to be weatherproof.
Generously cover your planter with Mod Podge using a foam brush.
Wrap the Scarf Material around the Pot and cut off excess fabric from the bottom and top, leaving about an inch extra that you will flatted down onto the pot.
You will find that the Mod Podge is super forgiving so you can always lift the material back up, brush more on and then press the fabric back down
Smooth out any Wrinkles and brush a Layer of Mod Podge on top of the fabric and then let it dry.
Here is my finished scarf planter. You can get the full tutorial over on my blog.
{The watercolor print in the background is from the shop of Place of My Taste}
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 19, 2018 11:04 PM - More info
Katie Nathey

• Mary Subanski Crowley

Did you use a protective coat? You don't list that. How would this hold up to watering? My mod podge projects always get a protective coat of Mod Podge Sealer to make them waterproof...without it, I imagine the mod lodge would dissolve or decompose and the fabric would rot over time and be a big mess.

• Kandi Michelle

I would I would definitely coat the inside of the pot with waterproofing. I would research the best way to do that before trying this. You should be able to Google that and take your pick of the options you find. I am planning to make some little herb pots for my kitchen window, and that's what I'm going to do. Good luck😊