How to Boost Your Curb Appeal on a Budget!

Our house was a basic ranch style home that looked a lot like all the other ones in the neighborhood, so we decided to make it stand out with a few budget friendly ideas!
how to boost your curb appeal on a budget, curb appeal, gardening, how to, wreaths
We started with the front door, it was just a basic black. I wanted a wood door, but the cost on a new one was crazy expensive, soooo, I painted it to look like wood. I painted with light brown chalk paint, 2 coats, then dark brown wax, let dry then 2 coats of dark walnut stain & poly. Also look at our garage door, those aren't real windows, they are faux window panels I ordered on-line..they are simply screwed to the top panel of the door to look like windows! The cost...a mere $ 120.00!!! A much more budget friendly option!!!
Old black door.
Old black door.
New faux wood door!
New faux wood door!
Close up view.
Close up view.
Next was the shutters, took down the black ones & got my hubby to make me some rustic wood ones!
New wood shutters with window box!
This is the window box my husband surprised me with on my birthday, it added just the perfect touch!
Then we wanted to tie in the columns with the wood shutters & door. I painted them with the same method as the door. Chalk paint, wax & stain... they are holding up great, we have had a ton of rain this summer & it's been a couple of months & they look wonderful!
This is the old columns, basic beige.
Close up of newly painted version!
Newly painted version with faux wood look!
The house number was made from some wood we had left over from a deck built, stained & added a solar light to the top.
Now our little ranch stands out from all the other cookie-cutter homes! I think it looks like a cute little cottage now! It just goes to show ya, you really don't have to spend a lot to make a big impact, just a vision & elbow grease!

• Seritaflood

Great job...your home looks amazing I also have the same brick color with shutter... But I love yours , it would go great with my home and fence What color did you use? And is your siding white or tan?

• Eri27646368

Love all of it! I need new shutters bad. Did you use new wood on yours? If so, the size? If not, do you know the best way to find used and/or reclaimed wood for these types of projects?

• Paula

Why wouldn't you paint the downspouts to match the columns? The makeover is great.

• Joan LeVasseur

I have a similar bungalow and just replaced my gutters and downspouts. I was told that I could install the downspouts to match both the brick and the cream siding so that they aren't so in your face. Maybe you could paint your white downspout on the front column to blend in. Just a suggestion.
    Love your new look. Good job.

• Joanie

The downspouts match the window frames......they look fine to me.