Debra J
Debra J
  • Oak Harbor, WA
Asked on Feb 3, 2013

Spring is just around the corner... And so are the slugs/snails...

SnapoutofitValerieBecky (J) P
+6

Does anyone have any advice on keeping these things out of my yard?!?! I live in the northern Puget Sound and they are a complete Nuisance!! I know I can use slug bait, but I'd much rather have a natural solution. If I can figure this out, perhaps, someday I can grow a garden!
  • old beer in a pie plate. Works every time. Just put an inch or so in the pan and place it where you have been seeing them.

In addition to the tried-and-true beer bait, a copper strip barrier around your garden beds will keep snails out. (Of course that one might encourage copper thieves.) There are baits made from iron phosphate that are safe around pets and small children. Two are Escar-Go and Sluggo.

• GreenSoil

I have free range chickens so I have little problem. I agree with Douglas Hunt bowls of beer and or copper strips, wire or even a ring of pennies depending on the size of your garden

• Creative Expressions

Yup old beer.

• Becky (J) P

last year I collected the neighbor's gum balls for a customer to put in his hosta garden. He says the slugs crawl over the points on the gumballs thereby killing them. (I will leave the visual to you)

• Debra J

But...... Aren't gumballs round like little marbles?

• Becky (J) P

gumballs are very pointy. They are from the sweetgum tree.

q spring is just around the corner and so are the slugs snails, gardening, pest control
  • Valerie

I just saw a post called 'Epsom salts for home, garden and natural beauty' on this site. As you have probably guessed by now, they used Epsom salts to get rid of slugs!

• Snapoutofit

Sometimes you have to use the heavy hitters. Get slug bait! reapply each time it rains.