The Phoenix Wood Co
The Phoenix Wood Co
  • New Zealand

Got a wood working question?

Are you building a project and stuck on proceeding? Need some advice on joint selection or which tool to use? Ask away and I will answer your questions

• Yana Hraiki

Hello! I am a novice at DIY, but decided. I am going to construct and than upholster a headboard for my bed. Now I have difficulty to decide which wood sheet I should go for : MDF; OSB or P2 furniture chip board? Can you advise? Also can I use Brad nails for attaching two layers of wood, together with glue or just use screws ? Thank you. YH

• Sherrie

Well you have given me hope for my pine table! I painted it black because it was pain and the stain won't grab, re- stripped and used conditoner and it looked terrible after I re-stained it. I re- stained it three times. Before I stripped and get the paint sprayer out and sprayed the whole thing black. But I might strip it and try it with water base. I love stain and I love your tables! I would like to see how you do a faux grain. I have a side table that has a very thin veneer on it that needs to be done with something that resembles a wood grain. Thanks Becky!

• Z

You're welcome Sherrie. As for faux wood grain, there are tools available for making basic wood grain, but we went a bit exotic with zebra wood and burl look. We used those cheep wood handles brushes you get at HoDe and L's because they tend to separate once wet which helps give a grainy look.