Paper Lanterns From Furniture Catalogs

A few weeks ago, we received what I thought were multiple copies of telephone books delivered to our door. Turns out, it was a home furnishings giant that went full on cray cray with their catalogs. “WTF?” I thought to myself. “Do something about it!” my alter ego responded.
So I DIY’d.
I first used a paper cutter to cut 1 inch strips of the catalog’s front page (one of the 8 catalogs).
Another easy method is to cut lines within a full sheet. Start by drawing a line 1 inch in from each edge of the sheet (do it on the opposite side), then draw lines about 1/2 inch apart.
I cut 2 pieces of equal (well, almost) size from a toilet roll.
I then glued the strips to each piece.
After the glue dried completely, I compressed the lantern to form a bubble shape.
Ta dah! It takes under an hour if you count drying time for the glue. The actual labor takes about 15 minutes.
Light ’em up!
Obviously, you can use any type of paper to do this. I typically have a preference for bright colors, but I couldn’t NOT use what was sitting in my entryway begging for a transformation.
Catalog faith almost restored.

Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Lin

• Christine
    Christine

How do you get them to keep their shape. Do you use any jars or plastic to hold the shape at all, or is it just glue the ends to a cardboard anchor (of sorts?)

• Aru7326434
    Aru7326434

Are you using a tea candle for the light? I think this is great idea and so easy. Thank you. Alice

• Kay
    Kay

You could allso paint then. It would't necessarily, take any more time! A battery operated tea light, inside would look great to! What about, using paper towle rolls? They are slightly longer, so the lanterns might look good hanging up? I love them. Enjoy! Kay Adelaide Australia
    • Lisa Sinclair
      Lisa Sinclair

The tp tubes are only used to hold the paper, at the top and bottom, so it's the strips of paper, that decides the height of the lantern.

• Betty
    Betty

I completely forgot about making paper lanterns. We used to do this every summer at the recreation center. We used all kinds of different paper and library paste. I can still smell it. i have to do this with my granddaughter

• Joan
    Joan

I hit "Go" for the blog post and received this screen: The premium domain name

hotforhouses.com

is available for sale!