DIY Striped Growth Chart

I love Pinterest, but then again who doesn’t?! If you’re like me, you probably have a board (or multiple boards) filled with projects you intend to do someday. I have a board called “Future Projects” that I have been adding to over the years and sadly, I haven’t even checked ONE of these projects off of my to-do list.
When the monthly DIY challenge group that I belong to with a few other talented bloggers
diy striped growth chart, crafts, how to, wall decor, woodworking projects
This project was SO easy and cheap to make. I can’t believe I waited so long to make one!
I started off by buying a 6′ long pine board at Lowe’s (no cutting necessary!). Once I was home, I beat it up a little with a screw driver and a hammer to make it look aged and then gave it a quick coat of Minwax Walnut stain.
After that dried for about an hour, I marked and taped off 6 inch stripes and then painted them in using some BM Simply White I had leftover from another project.
While the white paint was still wet, I peeled all of the tape off to prevent sticking. Then once the paint was dry, I used a set of stencils I picked up at Lowe’s for $5.99 to paint the numbers on. I used a dabbing method with a sponge brush to prevent the paint from bleeding under the stencil.
Lastly, I gave it a quick sand down with a piece of 120 grit sandpaper to rough it all up a bit.
The whole thing took me about 2 hours total, including the time it took the stain and paint to dry. The total cost was around $16 for the wood and stencils (we already had everything else at home).
I’ve known for a long time that I wanted to hang it on the narrow wall in the hallway that leads to the kids’ rooms and it looks perfect there, just as I imagined it would!
To check out all the other awesome Pinterest Inspired Project please click over to my website. There are so many talented ladies, you won't be disappointed.
Meadow Lake Road

• Susan E

I am adding this to my "do now" list. Where are you marking the name of the child and dates of the measurements?

• Meadow Lake Road

Hi Susan! I've been using a fine tip Sharpie and just wiring their names and the dates right in the middle of the chart. Hope that helps!

• Susan E

@Meadow Lake Road Thanks. Easy and adorable. It is the best.