Stacey @addisonmeadowslane
Stacey @addisonmeadowslane
  • Indianapolis, IN

Upholstered Bench From a Coffee Table

We were given this old dated coffee table from our neighbor. We honestly didn't really know what to do with it until one day The Beard sat on it when we were hanging in the garage and It hit me. Turn it into a bench!
diy upholstered bench from a coffee table, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
It was super easy. We had already upholstered our headboard using the same technique and it turned out lovely. So I knew this would be a breeze.
I decided to just prime the bottom with no paint over it because I knew I'd be distressing it. Using just primer would give it a nice chalk paint finish.
When the primer was dry I took a hand sander and sanded the whole thing down until I liked the way it looked. There's no science to it just sand it until you like it.
We then added foam and batting using spray adhesive.
We then covered the foam and batting with painters drop cloth and secured it with upholstery tacks. I then added some cute baskets for extra storage on both sides. I love the way it turned out.

Stacey @addisonmeadowslane

• Jill

Hi Stacy, I love your piece! It's gorgeous! I'm attempting something similar. Looks like there is not enough room to staple the drop cloth under the front edge? How did you staple it? My table doesn't have enough room to staple under the edge and was wondering how you accomplished this. I went to your blog to see if you had more instructions. Also checked out your awesome headboard!! Do you have any tips for stapling the drop cloth since there is not enough room to staple under the edge? I'm sure the upholstery tacks aren't strong enough to hold the fabric by themselves. Thank you for your help! Jill

• Trish

Just foam would work , batting is just an extra layer to add softness to sit in as well as the look.... foam is usually a more square look on the edges and corner... were the batting softens the look.

• Wen3585151

I've never made a cushion top before. How exactly do you do it? What's the adhesive for and where do I purchase everything to do it?

• J

Cut the foam to fit the top of the table/bench. The spray adhesive is used to hold the foam in place (Spray adhesive available at hardware stores, MIchaels, Joannes, etc. 3M makes a good one). Normally you cover the foam with polybatting (also available at Joannes) to give the cushion extra cushioning. For a professional look cover the batting with cotton muslin first, then pull your finish fabric over that. Tack down with staple to the underside of the table. If there is no room to pull the fabric, tack to the front edge of the table; you will then need to trim the fabric close to the staples. You can then glue gimp trim to the perimeter of the table, or you can cover the staples with decorative nails. All upholstery materials can usually be found at Joanne's or on line. Check out U-Tube, there are many videos that will show you the process step-by-step.

• Wen3585151

I've never did a cushion top how exactly do you do that? Whats the adhesive for? Where would purchase everything that I need?

• Suz Roberts

I'm so happy to see my mom's coffee table from the 70s' has a good home. I wondered? ....awesome make over! I love old furniture from the 70s, I have a houseful.

• Sue
    30 minutes ago

Looks great!