Shelly1016
Shelly1016
  • Jacksonville Beach, FL

Beachy Border

$50

One of my first things I made sure to get done when I moved in was into was get the front entry cleaned up and happy again. The toughest part was to do this on as little budget as possible! I've been 'upcycling', re-using, re-vamping and just using what was on hand for ever. The only cost that went into this was the bags of stone and a few plants! Here's how it all happened:
I cleaned out all of the old asparagus ferns that had completely obscured the front window, had grown up and under the indoor/outdoor carpeting, and made me promise to myself to never, EVER, plant those wicked things in any yard…EVER! Weeds, lizards, a glass snake and many other little critters were soon to be displaced so we could actually see out our front window again. Sorry, I don’t have a picture of that far back, but imagine a house that has a nice walk to nowhere except a brown door and yep, that was it!
using terra pots for small garden border, container gardening, curb appeal, gardening, raised garden beds
Then came the turning of the soil, amending the soil (remember, we’re at the beach, so it’s all dirty sand), adding landscape fabric, figuring out which plants to keep, which to buy and where to put the ones that the neighbor happily brought over from her cuttings because she was so excited to see things perking up. We chose the stone instead of mulch because they tend to keep more bugs away from the area and since we actually sit out on the porch now, the less bugs the better.
Now to figure out which border. I didn’t want something that would be too much maintenance: metal rusts, wood rots, stone is expensive. I also didn’t want something that was too formal because again, we’re at the beach. So as I was doing some cleaning, sorting and digging, I noticed that the stacks of clay pots were overflowing and it hit me: turn them upside down and there ya go! To place them, I just made little piles of sand to put them over and stepped on them to sink them in a bit. I didn’t care if they were in any sort of height order (that’s too much planning here at the beach) except the corner ones. I put larger ones at the corner to help guide the hose when I water. The lizards love all the new ‘homes’ – they come in and out of the drain holes all day. Some pots are starting to get some great patina to them – which is good, since I thought I would paint them, but forgot halfway through placing them in the ground and just didn’t want to stop the progress!
All in all, I’m very pleased with the homeyness it gives when you walk up now. All of our friends compliment the look and feel and even the neighborhood dog walkers have commented that things look so cheery now! The re-screening is on my to-do list for this weekend – the white duct tape just isn’t doing it. I’m also hoping to get the painting done on the house when the weather breaks this fall: it’s a light teal/blue/aqua with the trim in white and door and metal rails in a deep coral: keeping with the beachy feel.
I've just started my blog, lots of work to do on this hidden gem and I think I'll have a lot to write about! Check it out and cheers to all the hardworkers workers out there!
https://shelly1666.wordpress.com/2015/07/15/back-at-it/

• Heje

Would you consider painting them as buoys to add some color and beachiness?

• Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

I like that idea! Maybe put a flower pot "lighthouse" on a corner. Either way, I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE tree flower pot border!! GENIUS!!

• Anita

Would adding seaglass or shells here and there add to the beachiness as well? Love it! Simple, cute, and repurposes what you already had.

• Rhonda

Looks awesome!!! Love the idea of painting them but then again, they will get a cool weathered look to them over time. Question: how are your plants doing in the rock?

• Shelly1016

I'm sure they are doing fine - I've since moved about 3 years ago.