Camilla
Camilla
  • Pennsauken, NJ
Asked on Feb 3, 2013

DIY flower bed edging

Z3po3Gail Salminen
+9

I am trying to come up with a unique way to edge my flower beds as we are losing our mulch to run off. I thought maybe some 7" round by 1/4" thick concrete discs would be cool because I could paint them in the colors that I want. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?? Much appreciated, Thanks!
  • Mary Insana

I always had the same problem with mulch run off. If there wasn't snow on the ground here I would take a picture of what I did this summer. I wanted a different look and I achieved it using corrugated drainage pipe.Its easy to use, flexible and you can buy long sections for very little. At Home Depot 100ft was only $39.00. First I dug a trench around the area where the mulch would be. I dug deeper and a little wider than the size of the corrugated pipe.I put a little crushed stone down then the drainage pipe. Since I had a winding flower bed I used galvanized spikes about every 36 inches to hold the pipe down in the design I wanted. You can just pound them in using a hammer. After that was done I filled in with some more stone. I added solar spike lights and it looks great. A landscaper that lives down the street was standing outside one day and said he never would have though of using the corrugated tubing and he would be taking pictures to use in some of his projects. One hint about mulch, I bought rubber mulch at Home depot. It doesn't run off or blow away and it keeps its color. It does cost a little more up front but you won't need to replace it for years..

dit flower bed edging, flowers, gardening
  • Z

I saved this idea ages ago thinking it was so cute. I've collected plates for quite some time and figured some day I'd use it, but haven't yet.

dit flower bed edging, flowers, gardening, I credit the photo to Roy Inman
  • Mary Insana

Becky, cute,but I'm sure they would get broken around here the way they cut our grass! I'd be either picking up broken plates or replacing them every two weeks!

• Barb Rosen

Camilla ~ we bought a couple pallets of river rock to keep our much OUT of the flower beds (there I use leaf mulch). It has worked very well. Here's a photo at http://pinterest.com/pin/155585362097585753/ to show you what it looks like.

• 3po3

I also used river rock around my mulched beds, and it works great and looks really nice. Also, I use "gorilla hair" mulch, which is less prone to run off.

• Jeanette S

Mary I, love this idea...I think I am going to use it this year. We have got to do something to set a boundary. Hubby wants to let the grass extend a little and I don't. We have enough to mow and I had just as soon keep a small, defined area.

Camilla, could you post a photo? That sounds like a significant runoff issue.

• Gail Salminen

@Camilla You could also use cut pipes in varying heights. Keeps mulch in, and if filled with dirt creates a planter. I would suggest plumbers pipe in varying widths. Here is a site that used it in just one width. http://welchwrite.com/agn/2012/01/28/project-steel-pipe-garden-edging/ I have seen clay piping used in some gardens as well. Would love to see pics of your finished project. Thanks for posing the question.

• Z

@Mary, we do all our lawn care so no worries. I would think any reputable lawn care service would be careful not break anything in their clients lawn. Our son worked for a service a few years ago and his company took pride in their work and even how neat their employees dressed. Isn't there any other company you can hire? @ I had to Google gorilla hair mulch. I'd never heard of it. Very interesting. I'll have to remember that next time we need to new mulch. We just did everything new late last summer. @Gail Salminen that's an awesome idea.

• 3po3

No gorillas were harmed in the making of my mulch. It's just a name for shredded bark mulch that kind of looks like coarse animal hair.

• Z

Ha ha ha @