How to Create & Hang a Gallery Wall on a Budget

Do you have a big wall that you just don’t know what to do with? Most of us have at least one wall in our homes like this. For me, it was the wall in my master bathroom. It was a giant blank space and I just didn’t own anything that would fill it.
And then one day, I found the solution to all my art problems – the New York Public Library Digital Collections website. This site is brimming with the most amazing collections of digital art and best of all you can download it, print it, and hang it – FOR FREE!
Next, I found some low profile picture frames at Michaels Craft Store (bought with a coupon, yay!). I wanted the images to feel a bit more grand (they are on the small side) so I ordered some custom sized picture mattes on ebay and once I had all my supplies, I got ready to hang.
Make Some Layout Samples
I highly recommend cutting paper (newspaper, poster board, butcher paper, whatever you have on hand) to the EXACT same size as the frames you will be hanging. Make a small “x” on your paper where the hook mark is for your frame, you’ll reference it later.
Position the Papers on Your Wall
Use a little bit of painters tape – it’s easy to position/reposition again and again – and hang your papers on the wall. Play with them until your layout is just how you want it.
Prepare to Hang
While the papers are in place, hammer your nails into the wall over the “x” you made for the hook. Once the nail is in place, you will be able to simple tug the papers off the nails and your nails will all be perfectly in position.
Please hop over to the blog for even more photos and details and I hope you are inspired to create your own gallery wall with free artwork!!

Jennifer Carroll