Subway Tile With Glamour Grout Backsplash

We've been brainstorming how to modernize our kitchen while making it brighter, cleaner, and still have some fun personality. I discovered Glamour Grout by Stainmaster and it brought everything we wanted together.
For reference, here's the before shot. It was a very blah space.
We started by taking off the black lip at the back.
We prepped the wall and put up our subway tile. (Please check out my blog post for full details!)
We chose Glamour Grout in sapphire + gold glitter. We mixed it up, added the glitter, and then mixed some more.
I have never been as excited to see something go up as I was for this grout.
I completely fell in love with my backsplash as we were wiping off the excess grout. The bright blue and the gold glitter had me grinning from ear to ear.
We used this section of counter as our test patch, but we love how it turned out so much that we're carrying it through to the rest of the kitchen. Our backsplash has the modern and clean look we wanted, with that pop of color I love and the glitter just sparkles. It gives our kitchen personality.

Albion

• Edith A. Robbins

Would you recommend this treatment for white tile floors?

• Cici Schnakenberg

Hi, amazing look, but I do have a question. Will the glitter rub off when cleaning the tile?

• Wendy R

When you any grout, you use a clear seal to protect it. A seal will protect from anything from rubbing off. Read the container to figure out how long grout seals last.

• Cici Schnakenberg

So very pretty! Will the glitter rub off when cleaning?

• Donna Muniz

I would not think so... I added glitter to my paint in my entry way and hallway. It is embedded really well in the paint. I would think the grout is the same.

• Lorraine Aha

Glitter is the gift that keeps giving. Even if some comes off, there's always more where that came from! 😜

• Wendy R

Not when you apply the clear grout seal that you have to use anyway..

• Justme2

how much glitter did you add and can you use any type of glitter??

• Justme2

never mind, I just read your blog link, it's beautiful!!

• April

Perfect project to glitter up the wall w/tiles especially w/lights under the cupboards. Thanks a million for that idea.

• Janet

You mentioned painting grout. Can you describe that process?

• N. G. Londonderry

I reread this post and the blog and never saw anything about painting grout. Maybe that was in an earlier post.

• Victoria

Did you seal the grout? It's a beautiful look and you did a beautiful job!

• Ann

I’m looking everywhere online for this glamour grout and no luck, there are several companies that make glitter grout the glam grout I haven’t heard of can you please tell me where I can get this.

my bad, see it on the materials list :)

• Katen

Where on the package does it say made by Stainmaster?

• Katen

I will answer my own question as not to have mislead anybody, it is not made by Stainmaster.

• Sally Bostwick

Was the black lip at the back attached to the counter and if so, how did you cut it?

• Linny

This looks like mine, which is attached with silicone to the counter and the wall............. use an exacto-knife.

• Shirlene

I really love the subway tile and I am planning on doing it for my kitchen, but my cabinets are white and counter tops are black with a touch of gray and white, my question is it ok to use the white subway tile being my Cabinet’s or white! I have a farmhouse theme with black and white. Thanks for your help!

• Chicagirl

Yes! Yes! Yes! White backsplash will make it look clean and fresh. I have white subway tile with white cabinets and it’s fabulous!

• Shirlene

Thank you so much, what color grout should I use

• Patricia

I agree. I have white cabinets and a blackish granite counter top. We put up white subway tile for the backsplash and I love the way it looks. Bright and clean.

• CarlyTee

I’d do the grout in a contrast colour - charcoal is my favourite go-to. It’s not as harsh as black (which I think would be overwhelming). Not sure of a brand or anything because I’m in NZ but we have charcoal and dark grey available in powder or ready mixed.

• Sherri Roll

Well I personally love this glitter grout. We're remodeling our kitchen and will have white cabinets with a darker counter and I love classic subway tile. I think I'll add silver glitter to my grey grout just for interest!

• Pam

Gray tht matches the counter top gray would look really sharp

• Wendy

Use a row of black tile as your first top row to separate the cabinet and the white tile.

• Lorinda Mae Lane Silliman

Your white tile with white cabinets will look terrific. Just use the grey grout or even add some of the glitter if you want.

• Suzanne

How did you compensate for the electrical covers no longer level with the backsplash (when you put the plastic covers back)⁉️

• Maggie

Did you seal it afterwards so it stayed clean while wiping down?? I would love to do this in our kitchen, especially by our oven, but it gets greasy!!!!

• Christeena Turner

My kitchen cupboards on counters are wood color brown what do you suggest to brighten it up my favorite thing is the rooster colors I want roosters in my kitchen

• Julie Pisciotto

Roosters are pretty much every color. Red would be awesome! Any shade of orange, yellow, teal, green. Brown is a neutral so you could use any color, just depends on your preference.

• Kitinski

You might also try copper colored subway tile as a backsplash as it throws light around differently than white and might showcase any ceramic rooster in front of it. Couple that with a high border wallpaper which includes roosters.

• Judi

If you own your own home you could paint those cabinets after first

applying Zinsser B-I-N shellac based primer. I found it an Lowes and

Home Depot.

• Lois Herron

How to hang up curtains

• Laura Keenan

Did you cut out the Sheetrock first and put in backer board. Tiles adhere best to it, plus it keeps walls from getting mold when tiles get wet from splashing, cleaning, etc.

• Sharyn

beautiful just beautiful . clean and simple looking. kitchen classy

• Joanie

I REALLY like your work. I think lighting under the cabinet could of nailed it also.