Marcia Reichert
Marcia Reichert
  • Horn Lake, MS
Asked on Feb 3, 2013

I'm going to fefinish my oak cabinets. Is there a filler I can use for the deep graining to lessen the texture?

Sharron AbramsMarcia ReichertDesigns by BSB
+2

My solid wood cabinets and doors are very tired and the varnish has turned them orange. I have decided to do a darker brown stain after sanding them. I will remove the doors to re-do but will leave the cabinets up. My concern is the heavy oaky texture on the doors. Is there a filler I can spread over the doors before restaining them? I like a bit of texture but mine seem exceptionatly deep in texture. This is the only pic I have of the cabinets. See the orange?
q i m going to fefinish my oak cabinets is there a filler i can use for the deep, kitchen cabinets
  • Jeanette S

There are so many problems associated with wanting to fix up your kitchen without spending tens of thousands of dollars or working yourself too hard! What you might want to consider since you have such a heavy texture is to play into rather than fight what you have. Consider going to a colored stain rather than filling in and painting. I have seen this done in green, blue, moca and it is lovely. Do some investigating on staining...prep, actual application and sealing as well as expectations on wear, care, etc. Good luck! (And remember, you might can get a professional to do this a lot cheaper than getting new, less quality cabinets!)

• KMS Woodworks

grain fillers are often used on oak and mahogany as these woods tend to have more open "pores" but their use is normally done at the bare wood stage. It is possible to "flatten" the finish by using many layers of finish combined with certain sanding techniques. This is how many Guitars and other fine wood products are done to get that mirror flat and smooth finish. It is labor intensive and would be overkill in a kitchen cabinet environment.

• Designs by BSB

boy how I struggled to think of a good answer --- knew that @KMS Woodworks would have the right words! My recommendation is to stain the cabinets dark -- I LOVE dark oak!! And... its making a come back in the upper end market here in Atlanta. Its been over 25yrs ... so its time :)

q i m going to fefinish my oak cabinets is there a filler i can use for the deep, kitchen cabinets, Rich dark oak cabinets Butlers pantry bar by Becky Sue Becker CMKBD
  • Marcia Reichert

Thanks to all. I picked up a used door similar to mine at the local Re-Store. I'll divide it into sections and try different techniques. I'm liking the dark idea.

• Sharron Abrams

Thanks for the like.