DIY Sisal Rug

As part of my blog's most recent DIY Challenge, I had to come up with a project using Sisal Rope from Home Depot. I had been considering making a round jute rug for my friend, so I figured this was the time to do it.
The rope is sold in 50' rolls. I was unsure how much I would really need, but 4 seemed like enough to make the rug slightly bigger than my friend's small round table. I also picked up a tube of silicone to use to adhere the rope while assembling it.
I began tightly winding the rope in circles. The silicone did not work out because it takes too long to dry. I switched to hot glue and that worked great. After I wound the first 3 rolls, I realized we would need more, so we ran out and picked up 3 more. As it turns out, this is a very time consuming project! After 6 or more hours, I had to call it a day. If you decide to make this rug, plan do it a little at a time.
I used contrasting sisal for the trim and added rubber shelf lining to the back of it to prevent sliding. My completed rug measures 45.5"D, using 7 rolls of the sisal.
Visit my blog to see what my friends made with sisal rope for our DIY challenge and for more details on my rug! You can also follow my DIY Challenge Hometalk board!

Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
TheHoneycombHome

• Amy W.
    Amy W.

Is it rough on your bare feet, l wonder? I love the way it looks and have been thinking about making one, l was just given a few rolls of jute, total about 12 large rolls, l might give it a try.

• J
      J

I love mine. A little scratchy at first. Not in a bad way tho and it softens after a few days.

• Diana Sowell
    Diana Sowell

Do you thing hot glue will stay together? if you walk on it a lot i would think over time it would unravel.

• J
      J

I made 2 about a year ago. One in front of the doggie door, the other in the area where my entry way, living room and door to the hall meet. Both very high traffic. They are in great shape. Bonus. ....the cats prefer them to the furniture. To clean I hose them off with a little soapy water and let dry on the patio. I did have to re-hot glue one small place but you can't tell. Definitely worth time for me.

• Judy
    Judy

Not a question just an idea: I have cats and I can see a rug like this on the pourch for them to strach instead of furniture:
  • Kay
    Kay

I used to own a 8x10 sisal rug. Though beautiful, it shed like crazy, so to keep it looking nice you have to sweep around it daily at least. The only way to avoid it shedding is to never walk on it. Not a practical rug ! I'm jus sayin...