Simple Vertical Kitchen Herb Garden

Can you believe it’s the 15th already?! That means we are halfway through July, and before you know it, summer will be over! It also means it’s time for the Home Depot Monthly Gift Challenge, where I team up with an awesome group of creative ladies to make a gift for someone using a designated Home Depot item. Yeah, I know, it’s pretty awesome. ;)
diy simple vertical kitchen herb garden, container gardening, gardening, home decor, kitchen design
Meanwhile, the hubby and I are slaving away on our kitchen cabinets- painting, sanding, and waxing in every spare moment. It feels like it’s taking forever. So, it’s nice to pull away from that madness for a bit and work on a different project; and for this month’s Challenge that project is manila rope, used to make a gift for a friend.
My best friend is in the midst of building her dream home and is a busy momma of two. I knew I wanted to make her a gift that was both attractive and practical, using rope in a little different way.
I chose to make a simple vertical kitchen herb garden that can be placed anywhere she has good lighting from a window. Anyone can make this, and the wood can be stained, painted, or turned into a chalkboard surface, as I’ve done. The vertical garden saves space, and the board can be leaned on a counter top, set on a window sill, or hung on the wall.
The rope was used to hang the galvanized buckets on construction nails (pennies apiece), and the buckets can be removed easily for watering or cuttings. This is especially useful if the best window for lighting is not in your kitchen; all you need to do is grab the bucket with the herb you need and take it to the kitchen.
This project is very economical too; even if you have none of the supplies on hand, it should cost less than $10 to make 2 of these.
Ready to make your own?
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own vertical garden!
– Small galvanized buckets (these were purchased in Target’s “dollar section” for $3)
– Manila or other natural rope (not pictured below), cut into 22″ long pieces
– 1×6″ board at 36″ long for 3 buckets
– Desired paint or stain
– Large construction/roofing nails, or robe hooks
– Metal tags (the copper tags I used were also purchased in Target’s One Spot for $1 for 4)
– Small potted herbs of your choice
– Tools: hammer, flat head screw driver, scrap wood
Not pictured – the last step is to thread the rope through each hole from the outside and tie a knot in the rope, wrapping from inside, around the outside piece
The board and hanging bucket idea could be used for other small storage needs like make-up, office supplies, or craft supplies!
Thanks for reading today! Please take a moment to visit some of the other bloggers who have wracked their creative brains to inspire you to tackle a rope project soon!
Head over to my blog to see all of the projects.

Shelly@The Domestic Heart