Melisa Gingrich
Melisa Gingrich
  • Frisco, TX

Transforming An Outdated Oak Storage Cabinet/Buffet

My love of transforming old pieces to update them and give them new life.
outdated oak storage cabinet buffet makeover, painted furniture
Our neighborhood has a website to buy and sell items and I found this wonderful cabinet for pennies!
As you can see it's the honey oak with brass hardware. I love the style of the hardware so I decided to keep it. I clean the hardware with one part ammonia and 10 parts water then I sand each piece so the paint will adhere then I wipe them down again with the same rag. I place the hardware on a box, putting the screws to the hinges in the box by poking them through so the head is sticking out. I use a spray can of primer and spray them, wait an hour then add the paint, again a spray. I give them two coats then I turn the hinges over and do it again because they are visible on both sides. I make sure to open the hinges and make sure all areas are covered. Then after they are thoroughly dry I spray paint some polyurethane, two coats.
I used "General Gel Stain" for the top and inside the cabinet, three coats and let it dry then I put on two coats of Polyurethane for extra shine and protection.
As you can see the blue is VERY blue and not the finish I had desired. Also, I first painted the feet and decided I wanted to stain it too so I stripped it with a stripper product and stained it.
For the finished color I used more of the stain, the wipe on, wipe off technique, just to tone down the blue paint and give it an antiqued, weathered look.
I did the same with the chair I reupholstered and painted.
I think they make a beautiful set, don't you?!