Jeremy Dixon
Jeremy Dixon
  • Clarksville, TN

DIY Pallet Bookshelves

originally posted at our blog: http://www.simplydixon.com/2013/02/04/diy-pallet-bookshelves/
Chances are, you've already seen the idea for making bookshelves from a pallet here, here or here. It's one of those projects that seems super easy, cheap and fun to do, and it is. The hardest part of this project is finding a good pallet to use. These plans work for a pallet that has 6 boards on the top and 4 on the back. I'm sure you can figure out how to do other pallet types, but this is what we got. DIY Pallet Bookshelves
diy pallet bookshelves, pallet, shelving ideas
1. Measure and make lines to cut the 2nd board (on the top) a little past halfway. Do this on the other side as well. Lastly make a line to cut the pallet directly in half.
Set the depth of the circular saw to cut as deep as you can since you'll be cutting through the top board and the 2x4 supports on either side and in the middle
Measure the 2 spaces along the bottom of each shelf and cut some 2x4s to fit. I had to rip them down on my table saw to fit into the space, but you could easily use a 4″ wide board to cover the entire bottom instead. Nail them in.
Lightly sand before painting.

We did two coats of paint because our pallet was a bit dirty from use.
Lightly sand before painting. We did two coats of paint because our pallet was a bit dirty from use.
Hang the Shelves. I chose to use a screw in wall anchor where there were no studs and a 2″ screw where there was one.
The screw in wall anchors are really easy to use, you just mark your spot, tap the anchor in with a hammer and then screw it in till flush with the wall no drilling.
I mounted one of the 4 shelves directly underneath the window next to our kid's bed for easy bedtime reading access and cleanup.
The 3 shelves were hung mostly behind the door so as to utilize the space and keep the books in a usable space but a little out of the way.
Jeremy Dixon

• Sondra A

Looks very nice, and so practical, too.

• Maria Salcedo

This is a wonderful idea for all my mags that I refuse to throw away!! LoL....Now I can stop saving my cereal boxes and transfer the mags (and the ones still in crates) to these neat pallets!!! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. NOW on the hunt for pallets.