Caroline
Caroline
  • Columbia, SC

Farmhouse Plank Wall

$0

This is where it started- an old mill in foreclosure that a man bought at auction and was giving away everything in the warehouse.
We got about 900 square feet of 1/4" heart pine lumber for FREE!!!!!! It was dark, hot and dusty but it was FREEEEEE!
As you can see, the boards were not in a finished state. But surprisingly we had very little waste!
diy farmhouse plank wall, diy, how to, painting, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
When we bought our house about 18 months ago, it was 2400 square feet of one room that held a kitchen and it had a small bath. It had been on the market for 4 years- I guess nobody had our vision! We saw it as a blank slate!
You can read see what it looked like when we bought it here: http://www.lessonsfromthelake.com/?p=1651
We had two walls of this bead board wainscoting and the two new walls we added to make our master bedroom. We either had to buy more of the bead board (and it is the real tongue groove stuff- expensive!) or pull it off and fix the sheet rock underneath.
Until we found the ad on Craig's list for the free wood! Then I knew exactly what to do!
Our house is built like a farmhouse with wrap around porches and I decorate in a vintage, farmhouse style.
Farmhouse planked walls would be perfect!
My husband cut down a bunch of the boards to be the same width. Then we started at the bottom and began working our way up. We cut the boards at random lengths and nailed them in place with a nail gun.
I white washed the boards with watered down white ceiling paint (it's what we had and it is cheaper than wall paint). You can get the details of how I did the white wash on the blog.
We are so happy with our farmhouse plank walls! They really give the room that farmhouse feel!
I would like to invite you to the lake to see more of our house and lots of other creative ideas!
Caroline

• Linda

How much did this project cost and how much was the Barnwood thank you

• Sue McCune Martin

Your farmhouse wall looks great! Is the wood rough or did you smooth it? If rough, how do you clean? I wondered about corners too. It Looks Like You Just alternated the overlap. Was the corner pretty smooth? I know I'm kind of harping on smoothness, but worried about grands and splinters.

• Sandie arreguin

I want to do this sort of thing on a wall or two in my half bath, any idea on any problems that may arise because of dampness from shower ?