Fancy Red Planter Made From Free Two Drawer Metal Filing Cabinet

I picked this two drawer metal filing cabinet up from road side throw out just round the corner to where I live. I only took the casing and not the drawers as I already knew what I could make with it. It was starting to rust a little so I used a rust converter on it after cleaning it and sanding it a little to provide a key for the paint. I only used the converter on the rusty bits. Then I went over it with
fancy red planter made from free two drawer metal filing cabinet, container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Painted in Delicious Red and Planted Up.
Yikes - sticky tape and rust
Rust Converter to the Worst Rusty Bits
Killrust heavy duty primer on top and bottom of cabinet
Starting to paint the sides. No primer needed
Getting there!
Drilled holes in the back (now the bottom)

• Peg Meehan

What is rust converter product and where would I get it????

• Carole

It is a liquid in a can or bottle that you buy from the hardware store. Your big hardware chain stores will carry this item so ask if you cannot find it in there. It 'converts' really bad rust to make it stable to paint over. Which means that the rust won't get worse and won't bleed through your paint job. It depends how bad the rust is. You might just get away with using a rust proof primer but I err on the side of caution and if there is existing rust, I dab the converter on with a paint brush and you let it dry for 24 hours. It will turn the rust a dark black/blue colour, then you do the rust proof primer over the top, let that dry and then your top coat of paint in colour of your choice. Hope this helps.

• Leeanne

Did you put any kind of liner or paint on the inside to prevent rust? Thanks, the red looks super sharp!!

• Carole

I didn't when I made this but you could easily use a plastic tarpaulin with some holes cut in for drainage at the bottom to line this. Or you could use the rust proof paint. I think the liner would be more effective though. It will rust eventually otherwise due to constant contact with damp or wet soil. If I did it again, I would use the tarp to line it first. It is showing some signs of rust and I did repaint it recently. Once it is rusty and turning to holes, I will probably just glue some fence palings to it for a more rustic look.

• Charlee Ford

Is filled entirely with soil? That’s a lot of dirt and a very heavy planter.

• Miranda Brooks-Gray

This turned out absolutely stunning! Thank you for the great idea. I think I will start looking for an old filing cabinet 😊

• Carole

Go for it! Ebay, Craigslist, Freecycle and Gumtree will be good sources of old cabinets I am sure. I got two of mine from Ebay, the red one was found by the side of the road as kerb side throw out.

• Carol Prewitt

Very smart use of something no longer needed. I have a business side one I may use for vegetable s!