Karen's Up on The Hill
Karen's Up on The Hill
  • Richmond, VA

Updating a Ceiling Fan With Spray Paint

I know that ceiling fans are a no-no for decorators, but y'all know that in real life people use them.
Ceiling fans follow me everywhere. We have had them in each and every house that we have owned. Sadly, in each house they were either not our style, or they were the white bottom of the price range fan ( see below) and we have had to change them out for something a bit nicer. I have spent hundreds of
updating a ceiling fan with spray paint, lighting, painting
We have one in our bedroom that I decided to simply change up the white color with some spray paint.
Here is the original look:
My husband took the fan down and took it apart for me so that I could paint the pieces.
I just laid them all out on a sheet and lightly sprayed everything with a few layeres so that I didnt get any running or dripping.
I used Rust-Oleum with the trigger spray in Satin Nickel for the base and Espresso Brown for the blades.
It's a very small, easy change that freshened up the space and saved money.
Stop by the blog to read the whole post (link below)
Karen's Up on The Hill

• 57superchief

Does painting the fan blades affect the balance and noise level of the fan?
    • Marilyn Sharp

you can get them at Lowe's they will be where the glass shades are for lighting fixtures, also you can find other cage designs online through Amazon and the like.

Have s wonderful day!

• Vitoria Harper

I have the old brass with wood tone blades. I'm curious if you have to use a primer on any of the project?
    • Carol Mensch McAlpine

I used black chalk paint spray [see photo in below post]. I cleaned the original metal to get all grease, etc.... off, no primer. Seems to be holding fine.
  • Gruber

This is great work. How much time did it take to make this? :)

• Polly

I spray painted all of my fans and replaced the blades in some with a darker blade since they were all brass and white. Fans are a pain to put up holding the base while trying to twist wires at the same time is really tiring. I was very careful when I painted them. I used a piece of cardboard to protect the ceiling as I made my way around the base.
  • Ginger Walton

my fiend says i have to leave up to paint it not looking forward in that' its an all color one for kids room'