Darla DeMorrow
Darla DeMorrow
  • Wayne, PA

Stair Riser Stencil With Tuscan Tile Design

$50

Plywood stairs aren't pretty, but covering them up with carpet is both costly and high maintenance. Here's a DIY idea to save money and add style.
stair riser stencil with tuscan tile design, flooring, home decor, how to, paint colors, painting, stairs
Adding color and a tile design to these stair risers turned this space from a cave to a creative jewel.
These stairs leading to the basement were very plain and rough. As part of the construction, we had the contractor complete the trim and paint the steps with basic "porch and floor paint".
The two stencil paint colors are Sherwin Williams Commodore (SW6524) blue paint in flat that was used elsewhere in the house for the darker blue, layered with a shimmery Metallic Teal stencil cream from Royal Designs Studios. The finished risers are sealed with a coat of water-based polyurethane.
Working with stencils can be time consuming, and it’s definitely all about the details, but it's worth it because you can customize your project as much as you’d like. We stenciled a lampshade to coordinate with the design on the steps. (See how that turned out over on my blog site.)
I will not lie, this projects took hours. And hours. But it was so worth it. All the neighbors have come over to peek at this unique touch.
You see dark treads with white risers in a lot of designs, but white risers are nearly impossible to keep clean. Especially because this is the basement level, and not the main part of the house, we opted for easy maintenance, and just added the pizzazz with the stencil. Keeping the stairs clean is easy with a quick dusting. Not only have we made it pretty, it'll be much easier to keep clean than white risers or carpeted stairs ever would be.
To get all the steps for this project, please visit my website at http://heartworkorg.com/2015/07/12/stair-riser-stencil-with-tuscan-tile-design/.
Darla DeMorrow

• Cyndi Moore Tippett

They are very pretty. I am going to do my stairs. Where did you get your stencil? Did you buy enough to do across the riser or did they come in a multi pack? Great Job!
  • Nancy Jenkins

My stairs to basement are partially done. It is the old glue giving trouble to come off from stuff I got a hardware store. I wonder if my sides of stairs had railing on one side and someone filled in. I had put railing on otherside but mover tore it off.
    So do I add the primer over the old glue I cannot budge?
    Looks so much like my area with the furnace room to the right of stairs, to the left of stairs is kitchenette in my home.
    Linoleum did not look right, so I took it off. I like your work. Wish you were here to coach me.

• Nancy Jenkins

I think that is all I have of the pictures. I try to take pictures of any work done in any of my places I lived starting with my late mother's home, to home in Ontario and then home in Alberta 1942 it was built.

• Carole White

Looks fabulous!!
  • Hhh29972726

This is lovely, Darla!! I'm sure it took forever, but in my humble opinion it was well worth the effort. Kudos, girl!!!
    • Darla DeMorrow

You've got it. We all like quick and easy, but this wasn't really a quick project. Well worth it, though.