Storywood Designs
Storywood Designs
  • Raleigh, NC

New Life for an Old Nighstand

I recently painted a nightstand for a client. It belonged to her husband and had been passed down through his family. The previously paint job was flaking off badly (chippy in a not-so-good way) and the top was so water-stained that we couldn't salvage it to re-stain it like we intended. Thanks to a lot of paint, I transformed the nightstand, giving it a renewed life and readied it for many more years of use.
I've used Annie Sloan paint for many, many projects, but this was my first experience using Maison Blanche on a piece. Bayou Blue quickly became one of my favorite colors! More before and after pictures are on the blog. I also talk about the most important first step of painting this piece... testing for lead paint!
A few coat of Maison Blanche's Bayou Blue and a couple of coats of wax gave the little nightstand a brand new lease on life.
Before Shot of the nightstand.  The paint was flaking badly... chippy in a not good way!
Before Shot of the nightstand. The paint was flaking badly... chippy in a not good way!
The top was too damaged to be refinished, so it was painted a dark brown and glazed with stain to contrast against the base and give the look of a stained top.
The curves and details on the nightstand stand out with a coat of dark wax.
Storywood Designs